Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

car speakers

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by terrysearle, Aug 15, 2004.

1. terrysearle

terrysearle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    need some help chosing new speakers for my car have a peugeot 106 and need to change the door speakers as they arent really up to the job with the new 500w amp ive just fitted. i need speakers that will fit in the same door space so how much room do i have and any good models to get have £100 to spend was thinking alpine, sony dnt really know, just need ur help
    thanx
    terry

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Does you amp genuinely deliver 500w ?

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    500w total music power?? = 125w per channel

Look in the Infinity manual and look at seperates

4. terrysearle

terrysearle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive checked and its 130w per channel and i have only 13cm room in the front doors so any ideas on best speakers 4it?

5. bazzason

bazzason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is it 130w RMS per channel? 2-channel or 4-channel?

if its a 4-channel i suspect 130w is peak output, and to be fair for fronts 50w RMS is perfectly adequate. i am running an amp that delivers 60w RMS to my fronts with the gain on about 25% and it goes louder than i will ever need without distortion or clipping. if you want more, simply bridge the channels from 4 to 2.

as for good fronts, there are loads of good 5.25" speakers out there - how much do you want to spend? £100? £200? more?

[EDIT] just seen you want to spend £100 - these are two to consider:
    Phase Linear
    Alpine
    out of the two, the alpines deliver a better sound (i have heard both, and have the 6.5" versions myself).

if you need a coaxial speaker rather than a component set, try either of these as a starting point:
    Alpine
    DLS
    the DLS are better quality speakers, but the alpines will deliver better bottom end frequencies.