1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car speakers and their merits, also looking for acoustic cloth in white

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by spickee, Sep 9, 2005.

1. spickee

spickee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    About to build in the screen at home so that it is stealthed away, but this means adding a bit to the ceiling and wall, as the joists run completely the wrong way.

I am looking to put my current Yammy speakers up and in the "enclosure", behind some acoustic cloth, also leaving space for any future upgrades, which the wife will know about after the event.

This got me to thinking, car speakers, can sound excellent when installed correctly, in a car. What would say a pair of decent 6x9 coaxials sound like in a custom enclosure. Or even a nice set of component speakers with a custom built midbass enclosure and then tweeters that can be individually angled for optimum sound dispersal.

Also thinking along this route for whole house audio. What product is easier to stick in the ceiling than something designed to fit in the car door, nice and shallow, designed to operate in a wide temperature band, with a ready made grill to go on the front.

Audiophiles at this point will be suffering mild apoplexy and heart failure, but I know from my younger days that audio quality in the car can be done on a much lower budget than at home.

Could lead to a fully built in 6.1 speaker component system using at least 5" cones for the midbass for less than £120. Plus wood for the enclosures.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

2. angelphace

angelphace
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh, this is what I was thinking of doing! Did it work??

3. spickee

spickee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Actually went for some cheapos online and put them in the bathroom.

Not bad. Wonder what decent in car speakers would be like. Should be fine as long as you restrict the amount of air behind the speaker like a proper cabinet.