1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car speaker sizes

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by Mat-Moo, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Errm - stupid question! I bought a 2nd hand Espace (family man now!) and want to upgrade the speakers in it. I can access the speakers no problem, but what point do I measure to get the correct size to buy replacements? e.g. 4" 5" etc. Is it the physical diameter of the unit or corner to corner mount point etc.?

2. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Hi Mat, I always measure the overall diameter first. Then check the magnet diameter and most important the mounting depth as I've found that to be the real killer.

3. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Forgot to add: if Renault are any thing like Peugeot then you get large diameter speakers 6" with a poxy 2" magnet which makes choosing replacements more difficult.

Cheers, Mylo :)

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I measure diagonally, hole centre to hole centre.

5. A.C.E

A.C.E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you will usually find that most motor manufacturers use a standard 5.25 & 6.5" respectively. the former in the rear doorcards/shelf supports.

6. Starkiller

Starkiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    if you look at kenwoods or Pioneers catalogs they have replacement speaker guides, this tells you what sizes are fitted to your car(if listed of couse) :)

7. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just got some Pioneers (17/13/10cm x 2 of each) and they are worse than the originals! Smaller magnets and thinner... Back to halfrauds again to return them (only tried 17cm one patched in, but I could hear it straining worse than the other side under any high loads/bass) Maybe look at the sonies/kenwoods.

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Look at Infinity range

You need to spend about £100 per pair :lesson:

Don't use Halfords - too expensive :nono:

The day the home hifi companies properly enter car hifi speakers the better. :lease:

9. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    They had Inifinity stuff at Halfrauds, but I can't remember the price. £100 a pair is a bit more than I have spare at present after buying the car. I also notice that component speakers are becoming more and more popular. Do component speakers come with the correct connections to allow easy installation? I thin kthere is space to go that route and surface mount or countersink them in.

10. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    where are you based, Ice Direct in peterborough are superb or online mcs-direct are always competetively priced.

11. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Down in Farnborough/Hampshire - contemplating my options at the moment. I believe the stereo is 4x40watt rms built in... might need to work on that before the speakers. Can't honestly find that much where people have upgraded stereos' in Espaces.

12. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
  13. bazzason

bazzason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    marketing [removed], i'm afraid. :lesson: it may say 4x40w, but this will be peak output, not continuous. i reckon you would be lucky to be pushing much more than about 4x10w rms from your head unit. small power output means increased volume to compensate, which usually results in sending a distorted signal to your nice new speakers, making them sound awful.

if you amped the speakers (even the standard ones) you would be supplying a nice clean signal that would sound infinitely better than head unit alone. :smashin:

to get maximum improvement i would recommend upgrading in the following order: Head Unit, then speakers, then amp. new head units now put out about 4x60w (peak) which is an audible improvement over most manufacturer units. upgrading the speakers than overcomes any shortcomings of manufacturer speakers (of which there are many ;) ) and then the amp brings all aspects together to provide maximum improvement over the standard system.

[read the forum rules regarding swearing - lynx moderator]

14. bazzason

bazzason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i should also add that, like home hi-fi, it is a good idea to set budgets for each component of the system, and plan your system from the outset. this allows you to match each component to the overall system (crucial when looking at amps and sub woofers). if you do things in stages, spend as much as you can afford on each component, as it will save a fortune on later upgrades (which will happen if, like many many ICE enthusiasts, you catch the bug).

[link removed-lynx]

15. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Difficult to upgrade the head unit... there isn't one as such (at least not found it yet). Everything is built in.