Car rental insurance in Canada

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
Anyone have experience of renting a car in Canada?

Insurance is a bloody mess. Even the rental companies themselves don't seem to have a clue.

Hertz told me first that no insurance whatsoever is included in the basic price. But their website says that basic insurance is included. When I brought that to their attention they said "oh yeah basic cover is included".

Last time I did rent a car in Canada I got the same story on collection, they insisted again that no cover was included at all and I had to pay a fortune to even be able to leave the airport.

Laureline

Distinguished Member
Anyone have experience of renting a car in Canada?

Insurance is a bloody mess. Even the rental companies themselves don't seem to have a clue.

Hertz told me first that no insurance whatsoever is included in the basic price. But their website says that basic insurance is included. When I brought that to their attention they said "oh yeah basic cover is included".

Last time I did rent a car in Canada I got the same story on collection, they insisted again that no cover was included at all and I had to pay a fortune to even be able to leave the airport.

Last car I rented in Ottawa there was no insurance included in the price and third-party or comprehensive had to be purchased separately. Though this was with National Car Rental and Herz may be different.

It would be unusual to have basic insurance in the price because not everyone needs the agency's insurance. Some people have it covered on their own car insurance and others on their credit card.

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
It would be unusual to have basic insurance in the price because not everyone needs the agency's insurance. Some people have it covered on their own car insurance and others on their credit card.
That's the thing. Renting in Europe you pretty much always have basic insurance but with a high excess.

It seems odd to me that you can hire a car with zero cover at all. And even more confusing when Hertz tell me on twitter that there is no insurance included, yet their website says this'
Screenshot_20220302-132941_Chrome.jpg

Laureline

Distinguished Member
I can understand not offering it at all in the quoted price because people have other options such as their own car insurance or the insurance on their credit cards or third party insurance that may be cheaper and better than the Agencies.

So if this "free" insurance increases Herz's price then it'll damage them when people are searching for cars to rent.

If it doesn't increase the price then it can be an annoyance because in the event of an accident you don't want two insurers claiming it to be the other's responsibility

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom