Car Rental in Australia

nheather

Distinguished Member
Will be holidaying\visiting relatives in Perth over Christmas (about 16 days total).

So as not to impose and so we can also do our own thing we need to rent a car over that period and although it attracts airport fees it would be easier to pick up and drop off an the airport.

Needed for three adults and a tall 14yo so we really need something Mondeo sized.

We've started doing some searches and and first glance it doesn't look too bad coming in at around £470 (stated as fully inclusive and no hidden extras).

But when I look further, I find trick with insurance excesses. The excesses are set high (but in most cases they don't say what they are, just a wide range of what they could be), but for the car type I'm looking at, coupld be upto 4000 AUD (£2,700). So if have an accident you could find yourself with a bill for £2,700.

To protect against this, they offer an excess protection insurance which in my particular case weighs in at a hefty £160, taking the reasonable £470 upto £630.

All the companies I've looked out have a similar scheme so I guess the real answer is that there is no way around it.

But before I click 'buy now' I thought it was worth checking here first to see what your experiences are.

e.g.
recommended budget rental companies
do you bother with excess protection

Cheers,

Nigel

BTW - paying this much doesn't even mean you don't have to pay the excess - you still do, but then can claim it through additional insurance policy.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom