Car Problem - Ford Focus SAT NAV Issue

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by WeegyAVLover, Aug 2, 2017.

1. WeegyAVLover

WeegyAVLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,943
    Hi All,

Ok I own a 2011 Ford Focus and have owned it from new. it has the Sat-Nav built in and the maps are stored on the SD card to the left of the screen.

Recently tried to use it and it works as normal for entering the destination post-code. Once you click start it calculates the route, distance and time it will take and when it does this it think the car is somewhere in Birmingham.

Now I have nothing against Birmingham, however as I stay in Glasgow, Scotland it is clearly not working properly. I did manage to find a screen on the Unit that showed in red "No GPS".

I am wondering if this is an easy fix or if it is a trip to a ford garage? I try to avoid main dealers as they tend to pull your pants down and laugh at you.

I have googled it and some people have suggested you can use a generic GPS aerial and it can be found on Ebay but I have no idea what I am looking for.

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    To check the obvious first, are you doing this in an open area? If you're in a garage or have tall walls on several sides then it may not be picking up enough satellites.

If it does the same in an open area then it does sound like an issue with a GPS module or antenna but I don't know anything about that system.

3. WeegyAVLover

WeegyAVLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,943
    @EndlessWaves - Yes I have done it multiple times and the result is the same. I think the GPS module and antenna are the issue, thanks for backing me up :)

Time to go get my pants pulled down I guess :)

4. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,000
    Take it to a car audio shop. They'll no doubt know how to fix it and it will be alot cheaper than ford.