Car prices have fairly shot up

tiacat

I dont know what to make of some of the information here and how to work out what depreciation would occur normally.

I got all excited at the first post so had a nosy on webuyanycar, it says it would givve me 1700 for my car.

Looking on autotrader, if I was to try to buy my car again, same age, spec and mileage, I would have to pay around 3500. I paid 4500 for it 3 years ago. Its now 111 years old and I expect to keep it another 7 years ( I want to get 10 years out of it)

D

Deleted member 27989

I dont know what to make of some of the information here and how to work out what depreciation would occur normally.

I got all excited at the first post so had a nosy on webuyanycar, it says it would givve me 1700 for my car.

Looking on autotrader, if I was to try to buy my car again, same age, spec and mileage, I would have to pay around 3500. I paid 4500 for it 3 years ago. Its now 111 years old and I expect to keep it another 7 years ( I want to get 10 years out of it)
A few points;

1. In general I think most cars discussed are a bit more valuable, therefore the relative gains are bigger.
2. And desirability also makes a huge difference to any price and increase. Not so popular cars won't all of a sudden become worth a lot more. But have say a 1 or 2 year old Audi, BMW, Mercedes etc then you see some huge gains, especially as new car orders are aren't being delivered...

booyaka

Yip - can get the same price I paid for my Model 3 Tesla 2 years ago on WBAC currently.

Crazy times indeed.

Trying to find the in laws a small lease car is a nightmare - everything is 16-20wk factory orders.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Check Cazoo

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Check Cazoo. They offered me £3k more than WBAC. I sold it to them on Sunday. Effortless. 10 minutes start to finish and the money was in my account.

tonycommander

My quandary is that work have just started a salary sacrifice scheme for electric cars and as a High rate tax payer that means in very rough numbers a saving of 40% ish.. I know its not as cut and dried as that though.

However, I suspect the lead times on teslas, audis, BMWs and polestars will be many months.

So, cash in now or order a car, keep my 140i and hope it retains its value. Ish..

CLH

Sold my Mini 6 weeks ago. Still getting some emails from WBAC etc. Ran a Motorway one yesterday, just to see. Definitely dropping now

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
There are some nearly new (6months-1yr) cars that are now selling for more than brand new, purely because you simply can't get it new.

Garry123

My car value on WBAC has gone up another £1k this week. It is now worth £1k less than I bought it for in June.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Have any of you checked Cazoo yet?
Seriously, they paid me £3k more than WBAC quoted and that was before all the knock downs. Cazoo don't knock down if you are honest in your initial assessment.
Read the review for selling on trust pilot. That's what convinced me.

un1eash

Distinguished Member
FYI Cazoo don't buy cars with outstanding finance.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Yeah that is a valid point.

gavinl1967

I bought a car back in June, paid £16999. Decided after 3 months it wasn't the car for me and traded it in, for which I got £17495. Its now for sale on the dealers forecourt for £19498! 2 and a half grand more than I paid for it just over 3 months ago!

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
I bought a car back in June, paid £16999. Decided after 3 months it wasn't the car for me and traded it in, for which I got £17495. Its now for sale on the dealers forecourt for £19498! 2 and a half grand more than I paid for it just over 3 months ago!

A mate of mine bought a Leon FR earlier this year for £12k from a dealer. Less than 3 months later he sold it to another dealer for £14,400!

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Not a car but a 20t HGV tipper, Company that used to do odd bits of work for the company I work for was contacted by Scalia who offended him 10 grand above what he paid for it, so he took them up on the offer.

A new 8 wheel tipper, they’re quoting delivery in 2023!

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Not a car but a 20t HGV tipper, Company that used to do odd bits of work for the company I work for was contacted by Scalia who offended him 10 grand above what he paid for it, so he took them up on the offer.

A new 8 wheel tipper, they’re quoting delivery in 2023!
Tell me about it! I work for a company that builds truck bodies. It’s a nightmare!

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom