• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Car parking > London

h31p

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but it probably seems most appropriate.

I am driving into London for a day out in June (4 of us going so cheaper than getting the train!) and wondered if there was anywhere you could park for free on a Saturday. Sounds like a stupid question, but I have a friend that used to work at ITV at South Bank and I'm sure that we parked [for free] nearby on a Saturday once.

Anyone know about this, or am I going to an NCP and paying £30?

Many thanks

Reepicheep

Try looking at some of the outer underground stations. Some have large carparks only charge a few quid a day. Then you can get the tube into the centre with no hassle :)

Kwman

Depends where you are going in London. General rule of thumb I use is this:

If the pay and display or parking bays are free during the time you want to park i.e normally Sundays and bank holidays then you can park on them and single yellow lines.

Some Boroughs are also free on Saturday and some Boroughs you have to pay on Sunday, Greenwich and Hammersmith spring to mind.

So look up the relevant Borough and adjoining Boroughs and see what you can find. Or post where you are going and maybe we can help further

williemaykit

Most of the west end around Oxford Street is free on Sunday, especially just north. Try around Great Portland Street, Eastcastle Street, etc (i.e. the streets behind Oxford Street between Regent Street and Tottenham Court Road) and the streets parallel to it. South of Oxford is not free. Sunday will give you mo

See here

On a Saturday, park around Spitalfields Market at Liverpool Street. Parking is free here because the market is generally shut on a Saturday (except in summer). Its only a couple of minutes walk back to the tube station and its 3-4 stops on the central line to Oxford Street. If you are feeling hungry on your way back, there are some good restaurants around there such as Giraffe and the restaurants around Brick Lane.

See here

lovegroova

Good advice from itsamac there. Also consider parking in the City, I'm pretty sure it's free on Sats and Suns, and has little traffic so there's plenty of places. Anywhere around Tower Hill (useful if you're doing the Tower) or between there and Bank would be good. 10 mins on the Central Line to the heart of the West end.

Make sure you get Oyster cards as they'll save you a lot of money when getting around. https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/entry.do

Gondry

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but it probably seems most appropriate.

I am driving into London for a day out in June (4 of us going so cheaper than getting the train!) and wondered if there was anywhere you could park for free on a Saturday. Sounds like a stupid question, but I have a friend that used to work at ITV at South Bank and I'm sure that we parked [for free] nearby on a Saturday once.

good tip about the city too in the post above.

Anyone know about this, or am I going to an NCP and paying £30?

Many thanks

just to add its now a nightmare to find street parking around the south bank, it is all residents bays only and double yellows. However if you are coming in from west London you can park in Pimlico for free on a saturday near the tube (victoria line).

DOBLY

I used to park in Bourdon Street / Bourdon Place / Grosvenor Hill on a Saturday afternoon a few years back - it was free then - not sure that it is now.

Digger

just to add its now a nightmare to find street parking around the south bank, it is all residents bays only and double yellows. However if you are coming in from west London you can park in Pimlico for free on a saturday near the tube (victoria line).

Ditto that. Some roadds including parts of Upper Tachbrook Street/Wilton Road are still free on a Saturday. . .but wherever you end up do check the signs/restrictions to confirm!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom