1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car MP3

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by TheDufster, May 23, 2005.

1. TheDufster

TheDufster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I've already posted this question in the MP3 section of the site, but it is just as applicable here.

I want to be able to play my MP3 library that I have on my laptop at home, in my car. Approx 30+GB of music in total.

I have considered buying a multi-stacking CD player that can play MP3 CDs but that would mean copying my collection to CD – a bit cumbersome especially everytime I add tracks and albums to my collection.

I have also thought about an iPod with a car docking cradle. However, I don’t know anything about these and have some basic questions:
    1) Is it correct that an iPod doesn’t use folders?
    2) Does an iPod pick up on the MP3 tags for the album names? Otherwise how do you choose to play a particular album by an artist? Do you have to create a playlist for each album?
    3) If I bought a 20GB iPod, how does it sync with my PC if I have more than 20GB worth of music? Is there a 40GB iPod available? It’s just that I have seen some on the internet but apple.com doesn’t seem to suggest that one exists.
    4) What are the iPod car-cradle devices like? I assume I can keep the iPod charged and also route the sound through my car stereo using one of those FM transmitters (although I have heard these are actually illegal?!?!)

Ideally what I want is some sort of device that I can easily sync with my PC, but it needs to be cost effective. The iPod seems like a reasonable solution but I need the above questions answering first.

What other hard-drive based music systems are available for the car?

Hope someone can help.

2. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    See replies in the MP3 section and the thread about the 'Clio'