Car Lovers in the 21st Century

scarty16

So what do you do between plugging in and unplugging, if the only reason for stopping there is to refuel?
get a coffee and a danish like everyone else, better than standing next to a dino-juice dispenser sucking down pollution

depot

Please stop saying Dino juice , it makes rational and valid arguments look like there coming from a crackpot

nvingo

Distinguished Member
get a coffee and a danish like everyone else, better than standing next to a dino-juice dispenser sucking down pollution
Coffee and Danish at a services station? That's any price advantage of electric over ICE gone in a...mouthfull.
I'm not sure 'everyone else' really does that - I never break my journey for expensive luxuries like that.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Coffee and Danish at a services station? That's any price advantage of electric over ICE gone in a...mouthfull.
I'm not sure 'everyone else' really does that - I never break my journey for expensive luxuries like that.

Yeah. I can’t afford service station prices :laugh:

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
So don't go to a service station. Go to a Costa (etc) instead. Can't afford that either? Yes, you can, with the money you save over buying petrol/diesel - probably with change to spare.

nvingo

Distinguished Member
So don't go to a service station. Go to a Costa (etc) instead. Can't afford that either? Yes, you can, with the money you save over buying petrol/diesel - probably with change to spare.
That's assuming I can afford to switch to an electric car in the first place, what do they typically cost £10K absolute minimum. I can go a long way with the petrol I can buy for the difference between my car's purchase price and that.

Rough estimate it's about five years commuting even if the electric was free.

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
I've gone totally the other way, I got bored of combustion cars year ago, and our current EV is the best car we have ever owned.

However since the start of the year our mileage on the EV has dropped from 14k per year to sub 6k since Jan of this year.

I'm fed up of city driving, and more recent rediscovered the joys of cycling. People talk about road feel, been connected with sports cars, sitting low etc, well a pedal road bike with 23mm tyres pumped to 100PSI with rim brakes gives you a whole new understanding of British B roads, be that climbing up a hill or descending.

I've now replaced nearly my entire work commute with an eBike, and have been commuting to work ok it since Feb, will carry on through the winter.

I use to love cars, but they interest me little these days. Our EV is probably the last new car I'll ever buy brand new and I don't expect to need to replace it till close to 2030.

We also have a house with solar panels + home battery storage. Am not a tree hugger but I do appreciate how much energy I wasted in the past for the sake of getting from A to B or just for fun with cars I've owned.

The future for me is not car, this weekend I took some snaps of my road bike. Its 10 years old next year, yet the only thing I've ever replaced on it is a chain and rear cassette. Interms of longevity, value for money per mile travelled, fun per mile travelled bikes for me are so much better than cars :).

50337389122_de796c1647_k_d.jpg

And this is my current commuter, gets me to work just as quickly as the car, works fine in all weathers and I get fit at the same time :).

50337388042_2fbce06fce_k_d.jpg

You don’t need to convince me - cycling is my hobby, I’ve got 3 bikes and used to commute on one a lot :smashin: But I’m not ready to give up the car yet...difficult to get 2 kids on a bike and all my fishing tackle.:laugh: Plus I love it!
F6AF12CA-FE9C-4BD3-8BFE-11192AAC73A6.jpeg

IronGiant

Even that definition admits it's made from plants not dinosaurs ;)

scarty16

While it’s your choice, I think it makes non ICE or EV fanatics, take your posts more seriously and I don’t mean this post to cause offence or be Micky taking.
No probs - you try and inject some humour and some people think you are injecting Novichok

gangzoom

I haven't given up on cars completely but much like the OP I find day to day driving just tedious and boring regardless of what box your are in.

This one of my old regular commutes home, barely quicker than walking...so much time wasted sitting in traffic.

46800366712_f51bdccc5a_c_d.jpg

My pedal bikes are simply so much more fun. I lost count of the cars I passed today on the way to work, really glad am no longer taking the car to work. I treat car journeys as a nessistiy rather than enjoyment these days.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Cycling to work is great as long as there are showers at work. Not everyone has that luxury. Also only applicable if you don’t have loads of items (bulky / heavy) to transit to work and back.

aVdub

Distinguished Member
I have a 15 min average cycle to work or an 8 minute drive and much prefer to ride than drive.

The car is used only when it pours down or a couple of times at the weekend.

gangzoom

@mjn Thats why eBikes are so great. I have no shower at work and today I did the commute whilst carrying my laptop, x2 D locks so on the way home I could get some shopping done for dinner.

I have the electrical assist on max for the ride into work so I get there without breaking a sweat, and on the way home I sometimes even turn the motor off completely if I want a good work out.

Absolutely love my eBike, been using it everyday since Feb :).

50341131723_fa0278e7b1_c_d.jpg

IronGiant

gangzoom flits from one fad to the next :laugh:

At least your ebike didn't cost £75K ;)

Please don't troll every car thread about ebikes like you did when you bought your Tesla.

gangzoom

gangzoom flits from one fad to the next :laugh:

I would hardly call EVs a fad - don't you have one now, and I doubt anyone who hasn't looked at whats important in their lives over the last 6 months :).

Cars really are pretty pointless things to waste so much time and effort on in the grand scheme of things, and commuting these days are about as fun as watching paint dry.

As the OP points out more and more cities are now trying to phase out cars completely, 60mph M way speed limits are even going to make M way trips even more tedious.

Luckily unlike the OP though I don't have any issues with going to 2 wheels :).

IronGiant

I would hardly call EVs a fad - don't you have one now, and I doubt anyone who hasn't looked at whats important in their lives over the last 6 months :).

Cars really are pretty pointless things to waste so much time and effort on in the grand scheme of things, and commuting these days are about as fun as watching paint dry.

As the OP points out more and more cities are now trying to phase out cars completely, 60mph M way speed limits are even going to make M way trips even more tedious.

Luckily unlike the OP though I don't have any issues with going to 2 wheels :).
We are on our second EV :) The laughing smiley was intended to denote humour :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Harman Luxury Audio Group releases updated MusicLife app
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Q Acoustics announces Q Active app availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TCL introduces Roku smart TVs for UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Melco Audio introduces new N100-H50 digital music library