Car insurer with good customer service?

bernado

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've been with Chaucer (just changed name to Geoffrey) for years and though not had much need to contact them, whenever I did I was always impressed with customer service. Just had the renewal quote and even though I've made no claims or change in circumstances, it's increased over £100.

Now I know you don't take out insurance expecting to claim but I'm a bit old school and appreciate being dealt with courteously, even if it's unlikely I'll need to speak to anyone. Having said that I also don't want to get taken for a mug in the process!

Are there any car insurers out there people have had positive experience of beyond the original policy setting up? After trawling through the usual compare and review sites it looks like the same story pretty much everywhere, happy people until there's a problem then things go South very quickly.

If this is now the general scheme of things I might as well buy cheap and resign myself to difficulties in the unlikely event I have problems further down the line.

Last edited:
I used LV and had to claim about 6 years ago when someone hit me, they were excellent.

6 years is quite a while ago but they still seem to get fairly decent reviews so thanks for the info, they've quoted me £60 less than Chaucer so that's fairly close to what I'm paying now. Wonder if I can go via a cashback site for a bit of discount?

I had to claim with Churchill about eight years ago.
Apparently the claim documents got lost in the post twice then I demanded a fax number and that got through. I know because I rang back ten minutes later to confirm.
Nearly said I would call the AIB about their security.

Customer service is something you hope to never have the need to investigate.
I personally like AXA because I never have to call them.
If we change cars/numberplates, I can do all the changes online for free.

Both Axa and Aviva have been very receptive in the past. Once with a major claim and the other with questions/amendments.

And Aviva were also the lowest price by £130.00 before the £70.00 cash back from Quidco this year

Always had good service from Admiral, never in relation to a claim though.

Aviva were great when my Dad had to make a claim.

Endsleigh I'm not so keen on - have an ongoing claim with them, email replies are very slow.

I've only used Direct Line for a claim and they were extremely efficient. It was literally 1 call to them, followed by a couple of call backs by them over the next couple of days. The assessor came out on time. Money in account within about 10 days. Quality service, but consistency is something I can't comment about because I've only used them the once.

Aviva were very helpful recently when I contacted them about changing run flat tyres for standard ones. Informed and friendly. They had a reputation for quality claims management when I was professionally involved with them but that was a few years back and things do sometimes change.

I'd say Direct Line have been fantastic whenever I used them for either car or home insurance claims.

I recently used Allianz for a car accident claim (not my fault) and they were very good too. For my next car I'll either stick with Allianz or go back to Direct Line.

I hear a lot of bad things about admiral but I've been with them for years and never had an issue.

Another vote for aviva, great customer service. Last year had a claim under windscreen cover, the windscreen fitters were awful, broke the new windscreen add 0 fitting, them repeatedly didn't turn up. Aviva cancelled them, got another company onto it and refunded my excess without asking, the call handler seemed to make it his personal mission to resolve and make up for the problems, not had that level of service for a very long time

It's interesting that Aviva is recommended here a few times, external review sites seem to paint a different picture so just goes to show. I have noticed though a lot of damning reviews come from muppets who've made a mistake and don't like to acknowledge their own shortcomings.

One idiot was filled with rage he was charged an admin fee to cover a new policy being raised after his previous one was cancelled by the insurer. Hardly suprising considering he got both his birthdate and car model wrong!

It's interesting that Aviva is recommended here a few times, external review sites seem to paint a different picture so just goes to show. I have noticed though a lot of damning reviews come from muppets who've made a mistake and don't like to acknowledge their own shortcomings.

One idiot was filled with rage he was charged an admin fee to cover a new policy being raised after his previous one was cancelled by the insurer. Hardly suprising considering he got both his birthdate and car model wrong!
Exactly this! A lot of complaints stem from people not understanding what they have bought and are caught out by the charges for changing, they often forget the reason they chose the policy was because it was cheap, hence the high charges later. Have been very happy with aviva, really do rate the uninsured driver/car feature as well, unfortunately had to use that a couple of times :-(

I have had VERY bad experiences with Admiral and Churchill, to the extent that I would not use them again and would not recommend them. They both handled claims very poorly, to the extent that I threatened them both with the Ombudsman.

I was very pleased with LV and Aviva, though didn't have to make a claim with either.

When my car was stolen 18 months ago, Tesco handled the claim pretty well.

Well it's looking like Aviva, their quote is actually cheaper than my policy was last year:)

I sent my existing insurer Chaucer an email 3 days ago about the price hike and other than an auto acknowledgement, I've had nothing back from them. Looks like they've done me a favour if that's typical of their response time now.

I had a non fault accident with LV in December. See dash cam thread for video

They were great and my premium this year was actually reduced too!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom