car insurance question

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NWhiteley, Mar 25, 2006.

1. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    In the early hours of Friday morning, my car was stolen from my drive and hasnt been recovered as yet. I have informed my insurance, providing them all the details they wanted, including witness details, but they couldnt answer one of my questions...... "how long will it take for you to make a settlement offer if the car isnt recovered". Infact, the guy i was speaking too seemed to take offence at the question.

So, can anyone offer any suggestions on the length of the period between reporting the theft to offering a settlement figure, if my car isnt recovered?

i am currently insured by more-than, are they usually good or bad in dealing with claims?

2. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    I dont know the answer to your question but are you entitled to a courtesy car?

3. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I had a motor stolen about six years ago. At the time, the settlement
    for unrecovered was about a month. 31 days rings a bell.
    It was, however, recovered. I was settled within ten days.

4. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98

I asked them about a courtesy car, and was told that the courtesy car was provided by the repairers, and because my car hasnt been recovered yet, no courtesy car

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    According to the sales pitch on their website they have a comparison between their and other insurance policies and one of their selling points is that they provide a courtesy car as standard unlike Direct Line, Esure, Churchill, Norwich Union, Admiral and Saga.

According to the Control of Misleading Advertisements Regulations 1988 companies should not publish any advertisement that "conceals or leaves out important facts" or that "creates a false impression – even if everything stated in the ad may be literally true"

If it had been me that was refused a courtesy car citing the small print I would have been on Trading Standards' doorstep first thing on Monday

6. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98

I have just read the policy booklet, and it does confirm that a courtesy car will be given only whilst the vehicle is being repaired. I will have a trip to C.A.B. in the morning to see where i stand

7. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98

6 weeks!!!!!!!!!! Jesus!!!!

i cant do without a car for that long

8. SuperOxford

SuperOxford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    They should ask for your vehicle documents and make you an offer asap. If the car turns up in the meantime then they will then inspect it and repair or total loss it. Well thats what they did when I worked for them but that was years ago.

Good luck if you have to speak to one of India phone centres!

9. Hercules51

Hercules51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to be devils advocate :devil: but it gives me a good reason to use the smilie :D

But it isnt your insurance companies fault your car was stolen is it?. Surely they have to be sure the car is not recoverable, before paying a claim.

I would get onto to police first thing in the morning, to see why they are out trying to find it, and the teenage punk who took it for a joyride !!!

I dont see why they wont pay for a hire car tho, that is a 'loss' due to the theft of your car surely?

10. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    Given I work for an insurer which isnt More Than it wouldnt be correct for me to comment on the effectiveness of More Thans claims handling process.

A stolen vehicle does take a certainly length of time to settle as the insurance company does have to make enquiries to ensure that it has been stolen and that their are no suspisions of other foul play at work. The length of these equiries vary between insurers, between police which the insurance company have to liase with and subject to the circumstances. If you have a vehicle with a CAT 5 alarm, imobiliser & tracker devices fitted where the vehicle can only realisticly be stolen by using a crane lift to put it on the back of a lorry but no one saw it stolen and the tracker cannot be picked up then questions start to get asked a lot more than if you have an '83 plated Ford Fiesta mk1 with no security devices at all.

I would estimate that the average for settlement can be anywhere between 10 days and 2 months.

Courtesy cars are only provided during repair periods and are subject to availability/ you using an approved repairer. Given your vehicle isnt in for repair your local Merc garage (or who ever happens to be the local approved repairer) arent going to give you a courtesy car as they wont get paid for it.

Some other insurers like Direct Line offer a "hire car" option instead of courtesy cars which in some ways are better - you get it irrespective if your vehicle is in for repair or if it is stole or a total loss but all the versions of this I have seen have a max term for the hire so if your vehicle repairs are longer than the hire period (and no one else has accepted liability for the incident) then you have to hand it back and go without. Guess it is swings and roundabouts as to which is better.

11. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    it looks like i will have to buy an old banger to get me around for the for-see-able future.:mad:

thanks everyone :thumbsup:

12. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    i have been to the C.A.B. this afternoon and they pretty much confirmed what Astaroth has posted. ie, a courtesy will not be given as the car has not been recovered yet or in for repair work.

i have also rang the police, who have confirmed that the vehicle hasnt been found yet.

13. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    ok. my car has been discovered in Liverpool on false plates. it is a garage, but i dont know if there is any damage. there isnt any keys with the car, so will the insurance recover the vehicle for me or will i have arrange that my self?

will the vehicle be independantly inspected for damage or , again, is that something i will have to arrange?

14. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    The police normally recover the vehicle to a pound so that they can do the forensics on it - they should tell you where they have taken it to.

Contact your insurers and tell them where the vehicle currently is and they will arrange its recover (and the payment to the police for the pound charges). They will then inspect the vehicle and inform you if it is repairable/ total loss etc.

15. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98

thanks Astaroth. thats a weight off my mind.
    what will it do to the value of the car?

16. speedymct

speedymct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Blimey, for it to have been found that quickly, the police must have been tipped off, or it's been taken by ppl with a history (seeing as stolen vehicles aren't usually that high up the plod's priority list). Hope all works out OK. Not a nice experience for anyone.

17. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    Subject to how much damage has been done to the vehicle it will probably have no effect. Generally depreciation is only caused to new/ prestigue vehicles that have sustained massive damage. To be honest it is probably not worth getting caught up in as I have never seen an insurance policy which covers depreciation - the only time you can ever claim it is when you have a 3rd party to claim off of under your legal expenses policy and even then it is a very subjective field. Given your "third party" is a theif it is probably unlikely they will ever be caught and even if they are it is even more unlikely that your insurers would consider it economical to pursue them for your uninsured losses or their own costs.

Just as a usual caveat - this is my personal opinion from my own experience of working in the trade - if you want a definative answer you should speak to your own broker/ insurer :smashin:

18. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    i finally get a courtesy car tomorrow, now that the vehicle has been recovered. it is a ford ka :eek: :thumbsdow , but atleast it is a car.

will i need my driving licence to be allowed to drive the car? it has gone missing.... im pretty sure it was in the same drawer as my stolen car keys

19. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    Now you have found a question i cant answer :)

It would be down to the individual garage to decide if they need to see it or not I'd imagine

20. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98

.... they did allow me to have the courtesy car, i had a record of my licence number :D

21. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    Glad it appears to all be working out now - bad luck about having it nicked in the first place though.

22. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Just heard back from the company that are looking at repairing my car.

The estimate for the repairs stood at £3400, but until yesterday, they were unable to start the car. They had to wait for the lock set and then get everything coded at VW.

On starting the car. it seems the engine is very noisy, and requires replacing. The estimate has now gone up to over £7000. I dont think i will be getting back now.

I just hope that the insurance company make me a decent settlement figure