• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

car insurance question with a twist

vasel

Standard Member
Alright people, right i've acquired 6 points within my first two years of driving so i had my licence revoked meaning i just have to take my tests again. however i continued to pay my second year of insurance hoping to get 2 years no claims, and my insurance is ending soon and i just need to book my test. (been away for the summer so haven't got round to do my test again.)

But what i'm asking would it be wrong to put on insurance quotes saying i have 2 years no claims?

Or is it possible to use my first year no claims still as i did get it when i still had my full licence.

Any advice would be great thank you.

davidwatsonok

If you didn't surrender the policy when you were forced to stop driving and still own the car, thus still need it to be insured even though you cannot drive it as theft is still a possibility, then you have completed the required conditions to qualify for the acquisition of NCD. However, you are obliged to inform your current, and for (usually) the next five years, all future insurers of your points acquired and subsequent revoking of your license, which will (probably) load up your premium. If you have failed to inform them then they may have cause to invalidate your policy, denying you entitlement to the relevant NCD.

vasel

Standard Member
Oh yeah i will be telling all my insurance quotes that i do have 6 points no doubt about that. No point in hiding that fact.

I didn't keep my car as i sold it to fund my summer trip after i knew my licence was revoked and i didn't inform my insurance company. So i guess claiming 2 yrs is wrong then.

Would i be allow to claim my 1st year then?

baldrick

I think you'd struggle to get through the applications as their systems ask how long you've held a valid license etc... so if you NCB is longer than your license it'll reject?

I had almost the opposite getting insurance a while ago after I wrote of a car but didn't have a NCB. When I would provide details of claims I'd put the amount, the type etc... and then there was a question 'did you lose your NCB?'. What this means is 'was the claim your fault' but in phrasing it like that I am completely at rights to say 'no' as I didn't have an NCB to lose!!!!

Ironically the quotes were actually cheaper when I did admit liability but I guess then you could say I technically lied as I told them I did lose an NCB when I didn't?

Tino

I think you'd struggle to get through the applications as their systems ask how long you've held a valid license etc... so if you NCB is longer than your license it'll reject?

I had almost the opposite getting insurance a while ago after I wrote of a car but didn't have a NCB. When I would provide details of claims I'd put the amount, the type etc... and then there was a question 'did you lose your NCB?'. What this means is 'was the claim your fault' but in phrasing it like that I am completely at rights to say 'no' as I didn't have an NCB to lose!!!!

Ironically the quotes were actually cheaper when I did admit liability but I guess then you could say I technically lied as I told them I did lose an NCB when I didn't?
You did lose your NCB. You lost the NCB that would have been granted to you at the end of year 1.
No issues on having a valid licence either. I rode a 50cc moped on my driving licence for a year or so, and then went for my full test. I have always had 1 year more NCD than I have held my licence for, and never had an issue, neither with online quotes, nor verbal(though they did ask the question a couple of times, but once explained, all was OK)
Not even sure if the retest requirment starts your drving history from scratch. But you would have to disclose the points, ban and retest.
Basically get quotes stating the 2 year NCD, and then ring them with your details, and ask for verification to your disclosure by form of a letter. I think that the NCD stays.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom