Car insurance passing on to credit repair company

phillyd1981

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My wife was involved in a accident in the family car I am the policy holder and she is down as a additional driver.
After the missus rang our insurance company they pushed her into going through a company called Auxillis which works as a credit repair where they will front the money and claim back from the at fault insures but you have to use their hire car and if the company can't get the costs back from the other party then I am liable for the costs of the repair and the hire car fees.
They do have a" group credit protection policy" but it looks full of holes to me.

I've got home from work and looked into the company along with the stacks of paperwork I have to sign and it has set my alarm bells ringing.
My wife statement has her as not at fault but in my opinion it is not so clear cut.

I've not signed anything so I am not in a contract with Auxillis and I will not be using them and so on to my question.
Am i within my rights to go back to my insurance company and demand a different solution? paying my excess upfront is not that much of a big deal. The other party have informed their insures can I deal direct with them and if they confirm their driver was at fault.

Has any one had any dealings with this company or one that operates on the same basis would love to hear any stories, opinions or advice. I never knew such a system existed and to be honest I do not like the principle of it at all.

You're right not to sign anything that could make you out of pocket for an accident not your (your wife's) fault.

In the first instance I would ask for written confirmation that you are not at fault from all parties.

I would speak to Admiral and make sure they have in writing that you will not have to pay anything, apart from the excess.

Did your wife get all the details from the 'at fault' driver, including their insurance company?

There's nothing stopping you from speaking to the 'at fault' driver's insurance company and ask for confirmation that the other party is at fault.

Pretty standard for some insurers these days. I had something a few years ago that was clear cut - driver hit me on side and another car from behind whilst trying to take evasive action when traffic lights changed and he’d misjudged the traffic.

there was no danger of liability being mine so it was pretty safe to take this arrangement on. I’d be wary as you say if you think it could go against you.

these third party companies bill ridiculous hire rates to insurers as they typically claim them back from the other driver’s insurer. I remember being charged £400 odd for an SQ5 on a daily basis. If I got lumped with those charges I would be crying!

Just another "leech" company trying to make money on insurance/crash etc

I would avoid at all costs unless it's confirmed 100% it's not your fault. Even then, I would steer clear of them.

Companies like this, and the ridiculous hire charges they bill for, are why your insurance goes up year after year.

Your insurance company directly should be able to help if hire cars are required etc - No need to use a 3rd party to hire a car.

I would avoid at all costs unless it's confirmed 100% it's not your fault. Even then, I would steer clear of them.

Companies like this, and the ridiculous hire charges they bill for, are why your insurance goes up year after year.

Your insurance company directly should be able to help if hire cars are required etc - No need to use a 3rd party to hire a car.
Agree, no need to use them. At the end of the day, insurance companies need to make as much profit as possible and they can't do that without passing on the costs to customers. There is no such thing as customer loyalty.

Also, tell whoever is used to repair your car, not to 'sell' any personal details or any details for that matter to third parties or other organisations. Otherwise you'll end with nuisance calls, etc.even several years down the line.

Pretty standard for some insurers these days. I had something a few years ago that was clear cut - driver hit me on side and another car from behind whilst trying to take evasive action when traffic lights changed and he’d misjudged the traffic.

there was no danger of liability being mine so it was pretty safe to take this arrangement on. I’d be wary as you say if you think it could go against you.

these third party companies bill ridiculous hire rates to insurers as they typically claim them back from the other driver’s insurer. I remember being charged £400 odd for an SQ5 on a daily basis. If I got lumped with those charges I would be crying!

It doesn't matter about the liability aspect as such, even with non-fault, the other company can for example dispute the car hire charges if they are excessive.

We had an issue with my wife's car in a car park where a driver reversed into her while she was stationary, and as a result, we had to get two new doors and appropriate painting. The other driver admitted fault.

We were with Hastings and they passed us on I believe to Auxillis, which then issued all the paperwork. It as the OP states a credit agreement and as a result various credit items and cooling-off periods. The group protection policy sounds like in theory it should protect you in case the other insurers refuses to pay but as you say has exceptions.

The thing for me is that in terms you sign in agreeing this means that you can end up in court helping Auxillis with their claim against the other insurer. This may require you to physically attend court (pre-Covid anyway). I assume this will be rare but talk about the hassle and this could be over a year later from the original accident.

The hire car charges were close to £200 a day for a comparable car, even the mainstream non-discounted rental car companies were more like £70-£80 for the same. The repairs were also going to be over twice as expensive as another approved garage.

No wonder our premiums are going up :devil:

In the end, we cancelled it in the cooling-off period, it was far more stressful than it needed to, be though but that's because we actually read the paperwork and didn't just let it happen.

We rang the other drivers' insurers directly and they were more than happy enough to help and dealt with the claim for us.

I am not sure if they will cover this, you would need to check the T&Cs of your policy, not sure you can get out of using Auxillis either but would need to double check.

I don't get it. When I was involved in a collision (my fault) I made 1 phone call and it was all delt with from there. Not sure why you'll need a 3rd party company and you dealing with also? Really?

I don't get it. When I was involved in a collision (my fault) I made 1 phone call and it was all delt with from there. Not sure why you'll need a 3rd party company and you dealing with also? Really?

Yes, they have effectively outsourced the claims handling part. When did you claim and who was your insurer. Not all insurers do this it's just become more popular. Presumably, because the insurer now gets an introduction fee...

When I had my last bump, I contacted my insurance company. They then tried to palm me off to Auxillus for hire car etc. However, it was a disputed claim (I thought other party was to blame, they thought me) - So I declined Auxillus intervention as I didn't want to run the risk of having to cough up loads more for a 3rd party claims company/hire cars etc.

In the end, the insurers accident repair place loaned me a small run around for nothing as part of the fixing of the car etc.

In the end, I'm glad, as it went down as 100% my fault. I still dispute it but can't be arsed to challenge it.

Was in a petrol station forecourt, total bill was £4.5k for both motors to be fixed (another joke of a price to repair but that's what happens on insurance) and £3k "whiplash" claim as well. Another utterly ridiculous claim.

Premiums went down the following year despite the claim. That was with Esure, would never insure with them again. Whole thing felt like they just wanted it off their desk as fast as possible and paid out whatever to finalise the case.

Was in a petrol station forecourt, total bill was £4.5k for both motors to be fixed (another joke of a price to repair but that's what happens on insurance) and £3k "whiplash" claim as well. Another utterly ridiculous claim.

This wasn't you then? ;)

giphy.gif

This. I would refuse (my misses had an accident under Admiral and we didn't have to do anything like you are being asked).
Also, get a dashcam, 99.9% no ifs and buts about who is at fault.

This. I would refuse (my misses had an accident under Admiral and we didn't have to do anything like you are being asked).
Also, get a dashcam, 99.9% no ifs and buts about who is at fault.
Its been about 3 years or so but I had a claim under Admiral and again Admiral dealt with it, no third party. Didn't even have to call them, done online and car was collected, a run-around dropped off and my car returned about 3 or 4 weeks later.

This especially the leeching part. Didn't realised at the time of my no fault bump. The final invoice to the at fault insurance co was more then the value of my car at the time.

Incidentally a couple of years ago someone rear ended me within the hour the other party insurance called admitted fault dropped off a loan vehicle similar spec and picked up my vehicle the next day. Took it to authorised dealer at my request for repairs and transferred the cost of child seat replacement into my bank account within the week. No 3rd party involvement so unsure why insurance co are using these 3rd parties when the cost to them must be extortionate.

Thanks everyone for your help I phoned up my insurance and am now going down the regular path through admiral who will deal with it all.

This especially the leeching part. Didn't realised at the time of my no fault bump. The final invoice to the at fault insurance co was more then the value of my car at the time.

Incidentally a couple of years ago someone rear ended me within the hour the other party insurance called admitted fault dropped off a loan vehicle similar spec and picked up my vehicle the next day. Took it to authorised dealer at my request for repairs and transferred the cost of child seat replacement into my bank account within the week. No 3rd party involvement so unsure why insurance co are using these 3rd parties when the cost to them must be extortionate.
In my case by my insurance company Passing me on they do not have to pay out a penny.

Had a prang with a direct line driver a few years ago. He was coming out into a dual carriageway and I had to swerve but ended up getting side swiped.

Was expecting aggro but pleasantly surprised …. My insurer got recovery to pick the car up snd drop me off home. On the way back I get a call from His insurer….

“Hi sir, sorry to hear about impact. We’re accepting liability. Somebody will be in touch tomorrow (was a Sunday) in regards to giving you a replacement car temporarily whilst we sort paperwork”.

A nice m-Sport BMW with a meaty 3L petrol lump. Nice two weeks of motoring resulted 😉

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom