Car insurance help please

IronGiant

He's put in a quote with a declared accident with similar details to this one. So that's a predicted increase.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
He's put in a quote with a declared accident with similar details to this one. So that's a predicted increase.
But when you do that, it asks for a value of the claim. This is obviously unknown at this moment.
If you put claim, unsettled, you'll find that it won't really affect your insurance price until it is settled and you enter an amount (speaking from experience)

Desmo

Distinguished Member
And potentially affecting the premium over a couple of years maybe.

GalacticaActual

Distinguished Member
How do you know the final cost? Surely that determines how much your premium increases. No chance your insurance knows that yet

Hi ,

I am going by the quote the third party got for the reapir if i was going to give her cash. In the comparason site, I simply put in the acident as at fault and cost known ( 300 ) plus all other releveant details.
We have only just renewed for the year a couple of weeks ago, so i comapred that cost with the new one, and that gave me the increase.
Now obviously its only a gude. We are not due to look propely again, untill this time next year, so all sorts of costs can change but as a rough guide its what hepled convince me that this was the right thing to do, plus all the help on here of course...

Remember the mrs and i have around 17 years protected no claims each, which i preusme does help a little bit, even though we have now both had one lcaim each within the last five years.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
At the end of the day there is no real right or wrong answer, at least, not one that can be predicted :)
You can only do what feels right for you at the time.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
You probably know this about protected NCB, but there'sa good guide here: No-claims bonus explained.

Checking our policy, I can have 1 at fault accident in a year without affecting my protected NCB, but after that, each accident costs me 1, then 2, then 3 years NCB. It depends on the insurer however.

My premium will probably still go up if I have an accident as I am obviously a greater risk, protected NCB or not.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
I am going by the quote the third party got for the reapir if i was going to give her cash. In the comparason site, I simply put in the acident as at fault and cost known ( 300 ) plus all other releveant details.
The issue, going through the insurance, is that they will want to use an authorised repair centre. Which will never be £300.
If you hit, the rear bumper, for example, then they will likely replace the whole bumper which will cost more than £300 on its own. Then you've got the cost of spraying it, fitting it, blending it too match the current paintwork etc etc. Do not be surprised to see a rear bumper replacement cost in excess of £1000

GalacticaActual

Distinguished Member
The issue, going through the insurance, is that they will want to use an authorised repair centre. Which will never be £300.
If you hit, the rear bumper, for example, then they will likely replace the whole bumper which will cost more than £300 on its own. Then you've got the cost of spraying it, fitting it, blending it too match the current paintwork etc etc. Do not be surprised to see a rear bumper replacement cost in excess of £1000
Very true, but again, what do you. Idont have the money to give to the woman

However, if the reapir is that much, they will write the car off. its only a 1.4 06 plate fiesta with 1440000 mile on the clock, it probably only worth £600 seconf hand and in good condtion LOL

diannebye

Banned
A accident from the past, not involving another vehicle.
Husband with his friend in our L200 with a long flatbed trailer ..was a small caravan base..
He had filled up fuel in a Tesco Garage and pulled away slowly(he was a HGV 1 and trainer so no novice) turned to pull out on the road when both of them heard a loud shouting sound..What had occured was this guy had not got his ticket for fuel he had just purchased so gone to kiosk returned with a member of staff and whilst staff member sorted the machine for his ticket...he stepped in between the L200 and the trailer just catching his leg....Husband and friend went back to investigate and all seemed a storm in a teacup...Nope Police phoned our house and they visited us just to find out the story...not trouble...Insurance Co. informed and the case went on and on....the insurance co. asked husband to except liability..he would not because he had done nothing wrong...never got the claim figures but the outcome we know was expensive...£1000's we are guessing and although we had over 20 years accident free with max NCB the new premium doubled.....We changed to NFU told them the accident story and they gave us a discount the first year and by the second year it evened out. That was as short as I could make it.....

hope the poster gets it sorted...sounds like he has...

Last edited:

wongataa

Very true, but again, what do you. Idont have the money to give to the woman

However, if the reapir is that much, they will write the car off. its only a 1.4 06 plate fiesta with 1440000 mile on the clock, it probably only worth £600 seconf hand and in good condtion LOL
It is up to the other party what they do if the insurance company would want to write their car off, it isn't anything to do with you really. The right thing to do is go through the insurance, especially if you cannot afford a lump sum to fix the problem. This is what insurance is for. Don't worry about the other party so much.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom