Car hire off airport (Malaga)

Discussion in 'Travelling & Holidays' started by Eric, Jul 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Eric

Eric
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,201
    I have been looking at car hire off airport. Much cheaper and the shuttle bus you to the car hire company. Has anyone done this? Experiences?

TIA

2. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,492
    Must admit I tend to lok for two things

(1) on airport
    (2) full tank, return full

To avoid being ripped off, not saying you you, just like to minimise the risks.

Last two hires, Cyprus and Portugal, I have used Holiday Autos - if you aren’t in a hurry keep an eye out for discount vouchers that pop up regularly, especially if you are on their mailing list. To be honest while off airport was cheaper it wasn’t by a huge amount so I preferred the convenience and the lower perceived risk of on airport.

Also take a careful note of the excesses - they can be quite high - I take out the excess protection insurance that holiday autos offer.

Cheers,

Nigel

3. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35,551
    Bear in mind what time the shuttle bus operates/what times the off-site collect/drop off office opens and what times your flights are. If your flight is not long after they open for example, you may find the timings pretty tight.

4. Eric

Eric
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,201
    We usually use Goldcar at the airport & full tank also. These were quite a lot cheaper. But, as said, if they start adding charges, your stuck with them..

5. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,128
    Not in Malaga, but have done on Mallorca and Cyprus (Paphos).

Mallorca allowed me to have a much better vehicle, for less. It was a long establish Spanish company not one of the big global players.

On Cyprus I was recommended them by the villa agency, and they were right. No nice offices, no cards either but cash only. But it was cheap, well maintained cars, and decent service by human beings who cared. One of the best hire experiences although at the face of it a bit weird.

In the area we go next we go again off-airport. Well actually we have a car delivered to our villa, and they pick us up form another country as we could get a flight direct.

I actively look for the off airport experience unless it is perhaps a business trip and I need something right here and right now.

6. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,492
    Another consideration (well for me anyway) is the time of arrival. For example, when we arrived in Cyprus (October) it was gone 10 pm and very dark. So it was really nice to be able to go straight to the desk and then a short walk outside to the well lit enclosure. We then had a 40 minute drive in the dark in an unfamiliar place, we were tired so the least time spent picking up the car the better.

Had we arrived at 10 am in the morning, I would have been more open to off airport.

And if possible, avoid the "buy a tank of fuel, and bring it back empty, so much more convenient for you" pitch. In reality you get sold a tank at inflated prices, and will inevitably bring it back half full - which they then sell to the next customer.

Cheers,

Nigel

7. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,187
    I'm doing the car thing via holiday autos this summer, seems fine.

The only thing I'm having trouble with is working out if i travel from Rome to Naples by train and the Naples to Florence and then back to Rome - do I have to buy single tickets or is there some magic return rail card thing?

Sorry I did use the googles but couldn't find anything and didn't want to start a thread.

8. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,492
    You can definitely get return tickets in Italy, but whether you can use it to take a detour en-route, I doubt it.

I imagine you are talking two tickets Rome<>Naples (return) and Rome<>Florence (return). The question to ask is whether you could do a Naples<>Florence (return) but start your journey in Rome.

Note there is mostly likely to be two train services, a fast one and a slow one, different companies, different tickets - I know there is down to Naples because I looked at them when in Rome and planning a trip down to Pompeii.

Cheers,

Nigel

9. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,187
    @nheather Hi Nigel,

Yeah going from Rome to Naples, rent car for a few days then train from Naples to Florence and then after another couple of days Florence to Rome.

I'm not getting on the slow train - as far as I can see it looks like it'll have to be singles each time and for 2 people at probably 35 yoyos a trip it'll get up there in money quite fast I think.

10. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,492
    Does the Naples to Florence train go through Rome?

If so I'd also look at the possibility of

1) Two returns Rome<>Naples and Rome<>Florence
    2) One return Naples<>Florence and just start the journey at Rome

May not be possible, may not even save you anything but worth checking.

Envious - Rome was my favourite city holiday (possibly my favourite holiday) of all time. Not done Florence so want to go back and do that and Pisa, most likely Venice (though so interested in that).

Cheers,

Nigel

11. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,187
    @nheather

I don't think so. I mean, you could change at Rome in termin and do 2 trains but i'm thinking it may be a bit of a wait and may not save much, guess i'll punch it in to booking thing and see what it says.

I've never been, I always thought it should be one of those places to go. I'm going Rome, Naples, Pompeii, Almalfi, Sarento and around there and then Florence for a few days, back to Rome and on the plane. Hire the car for Naples thru Amalfi, lots to see apparently...

12. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48,349
    If buying returns, check how long they are valid for. Many many years ago we bought return tickets from Naples to Florence, spent a few days in Florence, got back on the train to Naples only to be told by the ticket collector that the tickets were no longer valid. Possibly due to us having a cute blonde haired blue eyed baby with us he turned a blind eye to the offence.

13. soupdragon

soupdragon
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,458
    Made a goldcar booking earlier today but looking at reviews, I'm almost tempted to lose my booking and go elsewhere! So much talk of hidden charges etc... I've booked it at Malaga. Care to share you're experience?

14. Chocci

Chocci

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Avoid goldcar at malaga! Cheap original quotes hugely inflated when you go to get the car (2 hour queue as everyone was arguing about the increased prices,). Avoid easycar too as huge excesses.

We always use cargest (£75 for a week with full insurance and zero excess and fair fuel policy ) Sometimes cheaper to book via zest car rental site (tcb, quidco too)

15. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,187
    Did you try Holiday Autos, Bri?

16. soupdragon

soupdragon
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,458
    My head got melted reading different reviews so I just got a taxi in the end. I lost the money from my goldcar booking, and as I walked past the desk at arrivals, I was tempted to go over and get the car. But I decided that I didn't fancy the risk of getting the hand taken out of me (a common occurrence apparently) €90 return in a taxi wasn't too bad.

17. reiteration

reiteration
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,895
    have a look here, they may offer some guidance.. :)

The Man in Seat Sixty-One - the train travel guide...

18. robel

robel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,622
  19. Chocci

Chocci

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
  20. Eric

Eric
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,201
    I went with RECORD eventually, have used them before too. We land around 8pm in the evening and decided that I did not want to be shipped from pillar to post to get a cheaper car. I have paid the insurance to protect the €1400 euro deposit I have to stump up with.

So ended up with a Nissan Qashqai or similar for £150 for the week.