Car has IPod connector - I have an Archos

Kerr Avon

Novice Member
Hi there.

I just bought a car and it comes fitted with a connector that allows you to connect an MP3 player to the stereo.

However, the connector is IPod specific and I have an Archos AV580.

Is there any adaptor I can buy that will connect to this Ipod connector cable at one end and the Archos at the other (presumably the headphone socket)?

Cheers!

stevelup

Distinguished Member
This is more of a car specific question, not a cable specific one...

What car is it?

Steve

Kerr Avon

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply.

I have a Hyundai Coupe.

The cable is wired in and, I believe, connects into the back of the stereo where the CD multi-changer would plug in.

Anyway, the cable then comes up through the divider between the front seats and the connnector just, as far as I can tell (not having an IPod), plugs into the socket on the bottom of the Ipod.

I'd like a simple adaptor I can plug the car's cable into and then hook up to my Archos as I don't want to be ripping out the installed cable or anything drastic like that.

Cheers.

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Hi

I'm 99% sure that will only work with a real iPod connected to it.

It may be possible to remove the cable and fit a standard Aux input. I think you will need to ask on a Hyundai specific forum or perhaps your dealer.

I can tell you which pins on the iPod dock connector are the audio pins if you want to have a poke around and experiment?

Looking at the plug with the contacts at the bottom, pin 2 is ground, pin 3 is left and pin 4 is right.

Steve

Kerr Avon

Novice Member
You're probably right. I just thought that it should be possible, in theory at least, to have a little adaptor cable that I can plug into the Archos audio out and then connect to the plug on the car's cable.

Sort of like the adaptor cable I have that plugs into my PC's USB port on one end and a PS2 joypad plug on the other so I can use the joypad on my PC, if you see what I mean.

Of course, just cos it is possible in theory, doesn't mean there are any actually available to buy.

May have to buy an iPod, I guess...:rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom