Car Giant Purchasing

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by po_man, May 1, 2007.

1. po_man

po_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I think i've just about settled on a motor at Car Giant and was just wondering if anyone had any experience on buying a car from this company. I've generally heard good things and was just wondering what other peoples personal experiences were like?

Also, any tips on buying? I'm about to spend £10k in cash - is it even worth me bothering to to try and haggle for a discount?

2. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    yes haggle,haggle,haggle,they're usually desperate to get shot of their motors.They like quick turn around....

3. po_man

po_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Any tips on what angle i should use whilst trying to haggle?

4. Layne RIP

Layne RIP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I wouldn't buy from them.. i used to work for a guy that got a car from them and not only would they not even consider any "haggling" but when he picked the car up it was filthy inside and out it was also due for a service which most reputable dealers would have had done.
    It was an ex rep mobile as it was only about 2 years old and had over 70,000 miles on it... the fact is he could have bought a better spec car with less mileage (granted it was older.. not much though) privately.
    Both cars had FVWSH (it was a passat) the only thing he got with the Car Giant motor was a 3 month (wow!!) warranty which when i he showed it to me didn't cover a hell of a lot.

All i can say is good luck.. and if it was me i'd stay well clear.

5. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I wouldnt buy from them either, nice showroom to look around but have heard some storys from people. Usually high mileage ex rep cars. Someone at my work sat around for 2 hours whilst they tried to buy a car, then found all kinds of loop holes when it came to handing over the cash.

6. po_man

po_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    :rolleyes:

7. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Try somewhere like motorpoint

http://www.motorpoint.co.uk

Mainly new/nearly new with (what seems) pretty good savings to be had.

Mate of mine bought an Audi A4 off them. Only complaint he had was the beggars trying to sell you additional crap like GAP insurance, extended warranties (this was on a car barely a year old with 2 years warranty left to run).

8. SteveTDCI

SteveTDCI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    motorpoint try and sell you finance too, my brother went to test drive something and they wouldn't let him until he had virtuall agreed to buy the thing, they need to talk you through the options apparently. I'd still look at main dealers, if you push they will discount.

9. riprse

riprse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    if you have cash buy privately you will get a much better deal. dealers will allways add 2k on top

10. williemaykit

williemaykit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I agree. There are better deals to be had elsewhere. When I was buying my first car in the UK, my wife and I made several trips out to Car Giant and finally narrowed our search down to a 04 Mazda 6 diesel with 48k on the clock. The test drive was like 2 minutes down the street and around a roundabout. Whilst they leave you to look at the cars at your own leisure, if you take a test drive, you are expected to buy and that is when they start with the hard sell. We test drove three other cars with the different people and it was the same experience. I am used to having a few minutes to think and talk about it with my wife, especially when I am paying for the car with my own money. I hate being pressured into anything and if I get the hard sell, I walk (that's just the way I am).

When we decided on the Mazda, we came to haggle but they dont haggle which was off putting as the price was ok but the car's interior had been kiddified. When I asked if they would clean the car, the guy said that this was as good as it gets and suggested that I go to mermaids down the road.

We ended going elsewhere cause I needed a car for work. Ended up going to this guy www.davidbrowncars.co.uk. Robert (the owner) was willing to haggle. When we arrived, we had a look around. He asked what cars were were interested in. Left the keys on the windscreen. For the test drive, he told us to take the car up the road on a route that would put the car through its paces (bends, 40mph zone and then national speed limit). He said we could take the car as far as we want. The whole transaction involved no pressure.

In the end, I got almost £2k off the price of the car, he serviced and MOT'd the car, detailed it for me, and delivered it to my office. Robert was really nice about it the whole thing and the service was fantastic. All his cars are PX's that he buys off the dealer. I would definitely buy from him again.

11. mwmolloy

mwmolloy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought my last two cars from them, as i know the marketing manager there. it is a very different experience from most other places. basically, its a warehouse approach. 99% of their cars are lease disposals, either 24 or 36 months old with quite a bit of milage, most probably motorway since they are generally rep cars. you wont get any 'free' coffee, nobody is going to suck up to you, they wont even call you sir. its true the test drives are really short. the warranty is the least they can get away with by law. (i had a coil failure within two months and they paid for me to have it fixed).

i bought a 36month old 520i estate with 85k miles for £7999 in perfect nick with a full BMWSH. the same car would have cost about £10-13k at a dealer. The previous owner was a firm of solicitors, i acutally wrote to the registered keeper to ask him if it was a good one and he phoned me back next day say that it was a minter, no trouble ever. so i went ahead, and i love the car.

I think its not great way to buy a 'cheap' car, because the way they work is they buy the cars at auction, trailer them back to their place, do a complete inspection, replace any bits that need doing (they changed all my disks and pads) and then mark it by £1000 and put it on sale. thats right. my car was bought by them for £7k at auction and they trailed it down (prolly about £100), did an inspection (prolly £70) replaced brakes (about £400) then sold it for £8k. so its quite slim margins but they buy loads every day and sell loads every day. but as you go lower down the chain, to car that cost say £4k, more of your money is acutally the mark up. so get a decent 36 monther and i think its a good way to buy a car.

12. suniil

suniil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    My friend just bought a Corolla verso from them. There is no room for haggling, prices are at least 5% above second hand market rate. They will try to sell insurance, finance and other bits, but not that pushy.

13. mwmolloy

mwmolloy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is he sure that it was 5% above market rates? i think the averge dealer is putting much more than £1000 on as a mark up. its not uncommon for 2nd hand dealers to buy a car for say £1500 at auction, raid if for spare parts, bodge a few really bad repairs on it, then retail if for £3999. I would say thats depressingly common. he might give you £500 off, and the average punter would be so pleased.

Well you have to take your changes and make your choice. You could of course buy at auction yourself but be aware that its not that easy. You are right in the wolfs lair then. see honest johns very good description of buying at auction. be really careful of cars which are being disposed off that are NOT lease disposals. why are they being disposed off? crashed? rejected by consumer because of repetative unrepairable faults? off loaded by rental company? (its not always possible to see that it was a rental car) - they usually try to hide this by financing so the owner reads "HSBC finance" which can then be (legitamly) described as a company car. the give away is that they are usually pretty new, 6 12 or 18 months old.

i did once buy an ex-rental, but i at least knew it was an ex-rental so i paid about 60% less than retail for a 18month old 3k miles car. (Fiat Bravo 1.2 SX). turned out to be a great car in terms of cost per mile. nice to drive too.

if you do buy at car giant, its pretty easy to tell them firmly that you are not interested in extended warranties, insurance, etc. i cant see that as a disadvantage.

14. un1eash

un1eash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,439
    They have to by law offer your finance protection and GAP insurance, they even get you to sign to say they offered it you. Just say no and get GAP online as its only about £100 for 3 years.

I use places like Car Giant simply to test drive and view cars as they have alot in. When spending £10k+ i'd go main dealer and spend that little extra as they will all give you 12 months real warranty.

All the stories ive heard say that once you drive away they dont want to know.

15. mwmolloy

mwmolloy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do you mean they have to offer you these if you are taking their finance? I have never and will never finance a car. Always for cash. I take the view, if i aint got the cash, i cant afford it.

I'm not trying to defend Cargiant or anything, they are just a faceless, rather dreary retailer of cars. I think of them much like Lidl. Not a pleasant experience but cheaper. If i can get heinz Ketchup for £1 at lidl and its £1.80 at Waitrose, then you really are paying lot for that nice interior while you shop and the 'free' plastic bag. The ketchup is after all, the same.

16. un1eash

un1eash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,439
    I agree, Car Giant are as good as there salesmen. They turn around hundreds of cars a week which means they wont throw in things like car tax as the extra cost adds up, or so we were told.

I could of got my car cheaper if i went private or to a small time dealer but being a 18 month old BMW i knew buying from them it would have a full inspection, fully serviced and come with BMW's excellent warranty.

Buying a 2 year old car should atleast be safe as your still covered by manufacturers warranty.

Wish i could save 10k to buy a car, way i see it is i can afford my payments on the car so i can afford it. How did you buy your house? :smashin:

17. mwmolloy

mwmolloy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Unleash, i bought my house for cash as well, in the last downturn around in 1995. planning to buy another one in 2011 or 2010 when they finally hit rock bottom. houses can get pretty cheap when they are the very bottom. my last house cost all of £89k in 1995.

but thats off topic. we were talkign bout car giant.

many posters here list that fact that you cant haggle as a disadvantage. i see it as a big advantage. the fact that the you can actually compare what the REAL price is compared to somewhere else. the sticker price is the price you pay. who wants to go through the hassle of a protracted 20 min haggle, "i'll go and see the manager etc etc" and when they do it puts you under pressure to buy the damn thing when all you wanted was to find out the real price. dont you guys understand that the haggling is all to the benefit of the trader, not to you? if you get 10% off its becuase he put 20% on in the first place. consumers should be wise to that by now. its the oldest trick in the book, just like the 99p thing to make it feel less than a pound. to be taken in by it is just plain silly.

buying a car is hassle enough without the stupid haggling. I can remember being in a ford dealership, just wanted to find out the REAL price of a car (mondeo, list price was £14,800 they eventually told me they would sell for £10,700 IF I BOUGHT THAT DAY), and got pulled into a long negotiation with a team of 2 salesmen for a car I didnt even want to buy! Just wanted to find out the price???? how can i shop without knwoing the real price? they were really ****** off for not buying the car, saying that i had agreed to buy the car THAT DAY. so in their world, you have to agree to buy a car, BEFORE they will reveal the price to you. Mad.

another time i went to a BMW dealer ship and before i had even touched the car, litterly seconds after i went through the door, was pounced upon and they demaned to know what kind of finance i wanted. i laughed and said that i hadnt acutally made contact with car (my hand was litterly hovering over the door handle as they pounced) and asked if i could see the car first before agreeing to buy? (in a sort of jokey, ironic, friendly way). to my disbelief, she shook her head and said "no, we like to find out how you are going to pay for it first before we show you the car". i stared at her in disbelief, and said that its a bit premature, dont know if i want to buy a car yet, would like to at least see it. she was adamant - i was going to have to discuss finance first. so i walked out.

another time i was at a citroen dealer and the sales man insisted that we were looking at an 1800 horse power xantia. i smiled and said, "dont you mean 1800cc?" he sneered at me, fighting the urge to roll his eyes, almost tutting as he shook his head that such ignorant people should darken his door and said "cheval is the french for horse". i could tell he wanted to add "dummy" on the end of that sentance. You couldnt make it up.

Thats my experience of main dealer service. so my feeling about car giant is that its fine. it not bad service becuase there is no service. you just put the money on the table and take the car. they arent even going to say thank you. they dont get any comission. you want service you have to pay thousands extra for service. but i get no pleasure from service. i just want the car and they can stick the "main dealer service" up their ****.

18. zmoosa1

zmoosa1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I bought my current car from them around 2 months ago. I got a reasonable price and the staff seemed happy to help. The did say the price was fixed, so no haggling, and they do try to sell you GAP insurance, warranty etc etc, but your choice to take them up on those. All in all I'm pretty satisfied with the service I received from them.

19. Repster

Repster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I also purchased my current car from them. The cars are just put out there, dirt n all for you to see. I know a bit about cars so made it easier to decide if it was a bargain or not. No chance of any haggle but car is bang on for what I wanted to pay for a 3 year old car with FSH. Saved myself at least £500+ but accepted the 'no come back' type deal that they offer.:smashin:

20. RB5 Paul

RB5 Paul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    mwmolloy, why did you want to know the price of a ford you didn't even want to buy? you sound like a complete timewaster! I'm sure the poor salesmen that had to deal with you really enjoyed wasting time with someone who was haggling over the price of something that had a price on the window but had no actual interest in the car.

Car Giants no haggle pricing policy does make life easier in that respect but a price thats in a window of a car on a forecourt or in a showroom IS the price, if you manage to haggle a discount then well done.

In your nice comparison with Lidl and Waitroses ketchup do you haggle with the girl in Waitrose to find out the "Real" price of the ketchup? I'd guess not, you'll either buy it or go to Lidl. Or would you even just haggle if you werent going to buy anything??

Why not have the outlook on finding the right car first and worrying about pricing once you've made a decision to buy it? And if the price becomes right for you in negotiations then buy it,and if it doesn't then walk away. I think you'll find most cars will have a price in the window which will give you a fairly good indication of the maximum price you will pay on that day...somewhat similar to Car Giant after all.

Why on earth does it matter how much anything is if your not buying it. :rolleyes:

21. Magslad

Magslad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Nearly bought my wife's new car from Car Giant a couple of weeks ago but actually ended up getting a better deal from the main dealer.

Saw a 58 plate Merc A150 at Car Giant, was going to go along and test drive but went to Merc first to see what they had - identical car (1k more miles but some optional extras that the one at Car Giant didn't have) but up for £1,500 more (£12k v £10.5k at Car Giant). Had a print out from Car Giant website so I showed the sales manager at Merc, and he agreed to match the price. Plus that included full service (even though not due for 8k miles), year's tax, mats/boot liner and higher p/x than I was expecting because they could sell my wife's old A140 on their forecourt.

Was very surprised as would have expected to pay a premium to buy from main dealer.

22. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Glad you weren't the only one to have this experience, we told them where to stick it and went and test drove one at an independent dealer. Main dealers aren't much better, my dad was told by a Ford dealer that cash was not a purchasing option on a Mondeo he was looking at at a Ford dealership - finance or leave... he left and bought a BMW. (but that's another story...)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  23. stephen_

stephen_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I would recommend Motorpoint as well, there no haggling & simple approach won my vote. There sales guys give you a brief explanation as how to find out the details on there cars & they let you go have a wander about. My previous 3 cars have all came from them.
    I suppose its all what your used to in the end.

24. Markymoo

Markymoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well yesterday i went to Car People (i'm guessing it's similar to this car giant you speak of) and saw a Civic type R for 12k had done 28k miles. Only problem was that where there was stone chips on the front, they had tried to cover up with red paint, but obviousley not Honda paint as the red didn't match and was applied baddly as the blobs of paint really stood out when you touched it.

Went to one Honda dealer, car 14k but said he would't budge on car as they had only just opened the franchise and it was an ex demonstrators car. But then he kept saying he couldn't give me a price on my car for exchange unless i was serious about the car. Every question i asked it was as though he thought i was there just to waste time, even though i told him, red....civic type r is what i want! It was as though he thought i was just some kid wanting a joyride in it. Said unless i was going to buy and sit down for a few hours it would be best to try a different Honda. I mean it was a bit cold but all they were doing was drinking tea or coffee sat around. I am 29 but he must have thought i was some kid just wanting a drive.

So tried my local Honda. Went in and asked if he had any Type R's on the system. Lucky for me beforehand i had already looked on Honda website and got printouts etc and seen info on various Civic websites.
    Anyhow he came back with a few prices, one being a 57 reg had done 15k miles and was listed as 13,700. I actually noticed the reg plate on his screen as one of the 3 i had already printed out that was only £12,900 on Honda website. I pointed this out and he looked at me strangly and spoke to his boss. But before had said that he could phone that one up for me but they probably wouldn't answer the phone anyways (it was 4pm and he never even tried for me anyhow)

He then came back and said that they would have to pay that dealer £12,700 and for sake of £200 he wouldn't be intrested as he needs to make money aswell. I even said to him, what if i do my finance with you instead of the bank loan and then you will get your commission from setting up finance deal. I got "well to be honest thats only bout fifty quid to me so ya probably best off just getting it from bank, by the time i've paid a trailer to go pick it up, thats another 2-300 quid and then extend the warrinty, it's not worth it for me)
    I was begining to think that this guy just didn't want to sell me a car...i was there, saying exactly what i had to spend, £220 over 4 years, £3k deposit and then i even said, what if i threw my car in as a part exchange.......look of unintrest came my way and said, well....well, not really much in exchanges nowa days and came back with a value of £1200-£1500 (Parkers guide is £2100 without all the extras i have)

So basically whatever i tried all he kept saying was that the profit he would make wasn't really worth the effort for him. He took my details and said he would ring later today as he is seeing a few in auction today and would let me know what sort of deal he could offer me.
    So basically now, he knows i have a car worth £1500 (even though he has under valued this) £3k deposit and £9k max i wana spend on finance. so £13.5k

With that money there is plenty of type r's i could get from various places and also i know whatever deal he rings me up about will be to the maximum i have said i have got, really ****** me off as he kept saying over and over about the fact he wouldn't waste all the effort of prepping car for just a little return, and now i know whatever deal he tries offering me is only to put a fortune in his pocket as he knows my maximum i would pay.

**edit**
    Also just remembered when i asked him about what sort of price he could get knocked off a car and said about the one he could only get for £12,700 even though he had already said they would't answer even if he did call them, so how he knew that is what they would say i don't know.
    I pointed out to him that on Monday there is a guy from walsall who is picking up a car from your branch and had gotten £1200 knocked off the screen price..he said he knew nothing about it, i showed him the printout as i had taken the forum printout with me. He just looked baffled and said he didn't know, lol it was from his car showroom, i said to him, if that guy can get a car with £1200 knocked off from another dealer to here why doesn't it work other way and you can only get £200. he just shrugged again.

I feel it very poor, no matter what i threw him in regards to buying a car, he just didn't seem intrested in selling me one, unless he had bought it from auction himself and the profits for him were big, and didn't hide this fact. Probably best i just ignore whatever deal he gives me over the phone and try third time lucky or get from another place alltogether as would still have some manufacturers warrinty anyhow.
    Even when i said i would go back to Car People, he said no problem and his manager overheard and was serving another customer and quickly came over and said. "Be carefull with car supermarkets, they buy all their cars from auction that Honda refuse to buy, so be very carefull as you don't know what your buying". True to a certain lvl maybe, but a scare tactic none-the-less, shame he couldn't here his salesman trying to NOT sell me a car earlier!!:devil: