Car door edge protectors

gr0uty

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Moved into a new house last year and the driveway runs in between ours and our neighbours house. It is wide enough to get out of the car easily but at some time or another we have all managed to open the door too wide into a brick wall chipping the paint on the edge of the car door. Anyhoo, I’m picking up my new car next week and am looking at ways I can protect it from door scrapes.

Anyone have any products they recommend?

Some car doors spring between open positions, ie. you can open halfway (too little to get in/out) but try to open three-quarters and it springs to fully-open,
Happened on our drive getting out of the Ford Ka, the passenger was holding the door ¾ but dropped keys, let go the door and it sprung against my car scratching the door.
With that I went on Amazon and ordered these door edge protectors (were half the current price) - fitted two on the Ka and two on my car (two-door so wide opening).
They're not pretty but are functional. There are two sizes so I believe they're intended for front and back doors.
I sit them in boiled water until soft before drying and fitting, there is pre-cut clear adhesive backing to supplement the clips.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I stuck these on my doors for the reason above, car doors these days seem to have rules of their own about how far they will open or stay open at a certain point which are inconvenient at the best of times, so the door flings itself toward a nice rocky wall or someone elses car usually.

I have polystyrene and card board padding on the wall inside the garage, just one piece either side where the door opens. I can open the door without worrying about damaging the door.

Perhaps consider putting a foam pad or some sort of padding, rubber or soft material on the wall?

Thanks all. I purchased a roll of foam tape from Amazon as a test and stuck it on the wall. Seems to work ok-ish. Might go with this approach.

I have garage wall pads ( I think I got them from Halfords), have had them for years now and they work great. Had to screw them to the wall as the adhesive didn’t stick well to the bare brick.
Mine are similar to these except they hang off of straps rather than screwed through the middle.
Rubber Wall Guard

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom