Car dealers trading from home

chrisgeary

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I guess it is a sign of the times that more and more dealers are trading from home to save on forecourt costs. But my cynical mind thinks that Joe Bloggs could just decide to start selling cars from home and pocket the higher dealer prices ofsetting some of that against the tax from the income that they must surely declare.

I feel that I should be able to negotiate a price somewhere between a proper dealer and a private seller. Is that fair?

i think even if they trade from home and classify themselves as a dealer they still have to give you a 3 month warranty. If they do i wouldn't expect a lower discount.

When i buy a car i solely judge it on the car. A dealer or private doesn't bother me. I think with the internet the need for forecourts isn't needed as much anyway.

But personally I wouldn't pay an extra for a car from a dealer , so wouldn't expect to pay any less for a car from a dealer working from home.

I bought my current car from a dealer working from home but i paid a lot less than what most of the private sellers were listing their cars for.

Last edited:
One thing i would like to know Chris is where the dealers get the cars from. The chap i bought my car from had 4-5 very expensive nice cars in his drive.

I bought my Merc off him , before me one previous owner, Full Mercedes Service History ,mint, but it was still £1000 cheaper than any of the private sellers. He sold it to me at a profit so god knows how much he must have paid for it.

They tend to get there cars from auction, ex lease cars are a favourite.

Or trade ins.

One thing that I've found is that both the home dealers I've dealt with recently are "between forecourts". Makes me suspicious, it would be better if they just said that they work from home rather than trying to blag it.

Or trade ins.

One thing that I've found is that both the home dealers I've dealt with recently are "between forecourts". Makes me suspicious, it would be better if they just said that they work from home rather than trying to blag it.

I would hazard a guess that they are not declaring all of their income tax in many cases. Put enough through to show the revenue that you're paying at least some tax (i.e. VAT registered), and pocket the rest.

Plenty will be genuine though, so who knows.

Not saying it's right or wrong, but more is lost from tax evasion each year, than from benefit frauds ...

I would hazard a guess that they are not declaring all of their income tax in many cases. Put enough through to show the revenue that you're paying at least some tax (i.e. VAT registered), and pocket the rest.

Plenty will be genuine though, so who knows.

Not saying it's right or wrong, but more is lost from tax evasion each year, than from benefit frauds ...

I guess you're right, but i guess an easy way to stupper this is pay with a bankers draft or bank transfer.

Anyone insisting on cash i wouldn't do business with.

I guess you're right, but i guess an easy way to stupper this is pay with a bankers draft or bank transfer.

Anyone insisting on cash i wouldn't do business with.

Cash, cheque or BT - you've absolutely no idea whether or not the sales person declares the sale on his/her books.

Just because money goes to an account, you don't know what happens after :) And it's not really your concern, so long as the car is okay!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom