Car dealers that can't be bothered

maxwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More of an annoyance than anything, went to view a car yesterday price was £42k which is a tad over what I want to pay but for the right car I was willing to stretch that little bit.
However on arrival the car was nowhere to be seen and the salesman I had spoken to on the phone had gone home, I was informed by the garage owner that a test drive was not possible as the car was in the showroom and blocked in and he couldn't possibly get it out as he would have to move 2 other cars.
He did take me to it and it was very clean apart from the drivers seat which was filthy which I pointed out and he said "you can get some good leather cleaner in Halfords" I also pointed out that all the wheels were suffering from kerb rash and was told "you could easily get them refurbished"
Offered a crap price on my p/x and refused any discount on the price on account of the wheel damage (20 inch machined alloys so looking about £130 per wheel fo refurb) also told me to come back next week and he would see if he could find the paperwork for the car and maybe get it out of the showroom for a test drive.

Told him to foxtrot oscar and left, the way I see it if I am spending that sort of money I want it immaculate and want some excellent customer service.

On another note, last week my wife was looking at buying herself a nearly new BMW x3 and she had found 3 in stock at the local Car Supermarket so we went for a look, all were filthy inside and one had cigarette ash in the ashtray and the carpets, the salesman just said well we have over 1200 cars here so we can't clean them and then tried to sell us a professional valet for £1200 on top of the £20k price of the car, I said our local Romanian car wash does about 200 cars a day for a tenner each and maybe they should use them to at least make the cars they are selling look presentable at which point he just shrugged his shoulders and walked off.

On a positive note my wife found a X5 with a small local dealer at the right price that was immaculately cleaned inside and out and he couldn't do enough to ensure we were happy with it :thumbsup:

I'm afraid rhis is norm unless you pay a little extra and go main dealer network.
I always go main dealers they're not perfect but usually the cars are prepared beautifully with anything needing done getting done.
That said some new car sales people are crap I'm still waiting for some figures on a bmw cabrio I was going to buy from 10 years ago. I even chased him for the figures so we could sort the deal and I'm still waiting...ha ha..ended up with an Audi cabrio instead. The 2 years ago wanted a jaguar and the exact same thing the sales man couldn't be arsed to work the figures out and again I'm still waiting for him. Ended up with an E350 instead.
They're loss . Like you I at least expect salesmen and dealers to put themselves out just a little after all I dragged my arse to their dealership to offer them some pretty big chunks of money.

inThe main dealers are just as bad particularly BMW and Mini - We walked into one 2 months ago wanting to buy the new Countryman the salesman wouldn't get it in his head that i wanted to pay cash not finance kept asking me how much we could afford a month, was very patronising towards my wife, couldn't get a pex value on our existing car because his system was down and eventually got a figure off WBAC ?????? Couldn't speak to his boss about the deal because he was in a meeting said he'd phone us with the figures- I'm still waiting. Pathetic! My opinion of motor trade staff is not great and in most cases it seems that they end up selling cars because they cant do anything else!

Last edited:
On another note, last week my wife was looking at buying herself a nearly new BMW x3 and she had found 3 in stock at the local Car Supermarket so we went for a look, all were filthy inside and one had cigarette ash in the ashtray and the carpets, the salesman just said well we have over 1200 cars here so we can't clean them and then tried to sell us a professional valet for £1200 on top of the £20k price of the car, I said our local Romanian car wash does about 200 cars a day for a tenner each and maybe they should use them to at least make the cars they are selling look presentable at which point he just shrugged his shoulders and walked off.

On a positive note my wife found a X5 with a small local dealer at the right price that was immaculately cleaned inside and out and he couldn't do enough to ensure we were happy with it :thumbsup:
FWIW I last time I was car shopping I was told by a dealer that the Supermarkets don't actually own the cars on the forecourt - they're basically on loan from the finance companies who leased them as new. They have a window of opportunity to sell them but expect to make their money on finance and extras. If the cars don't move then they go on to auction.
As a result they have no interest in doing anything to them, including putting a hoover around the interior.

I've bought all my cars from smaller independent dealers who have a reputation at stake in each sale and a history to protect.

All depends on the dealer, main or independent they all vary. Recent experiences with Leicester and Scunthorpe BMW have been very good, both on the sales and service side.

I've had some really bad experiences with dealers in new and used sales. At the end of the day people sell to people and I have persisted and found sales (men and women) who were spot on and who I would go back and buy from again. I have had plenty of sales who couldn't be bothered, or had made their mind up that I wasn't a serious buyer, looked scruffy etc. and on those occasions I have just walked away and never gone back to the dealer in question.

When we were looking to buy a new Mercedes SL 4 years ago we were shocked at the level of service from people.

Was able to get a better deal on a "prebuilt" than build to order and so had a few "must have" items and was fairly flexible on other optional extras.

My former local dealer called saying they'd found a car, they could do it for an amazing price but I had to sign up to the deal that day. I asked what options it had, colour etc and he said he didn't have the details to hand but it had all my must haves and he could do a great deal - in fairness the price was good but how good obv depends on what options it has etc.

Called my current local dealer, who I'd already been talking to, and they checked and found one prebuilt that most my requirements, plus a few others, but not everything. I asked them to price it and they said they couldn't as I had to deal with the previous sales chap I'd spoken to but they'd have him call me when he's back in 2 weeks from his holiday.

Went for a third company in the end, who whilst weren't perfect they were a step above the rest (and oddly called after I signed paperwork saying they'd be reissuing it as they'd managed to do a better deal)

A few observations from the other side of the desk.....

Why is it that a "customer" who is using CarWow never tells you until after he has carried out the test drive and wasted about an hour or more of your time?

Why is it that a "customer" comes into your showroom looking for a particular car, being very specific on colour, specification etc. and asks you to phone them if you get one come in, but then puts your number on block so that you can't phone them to tell them you have what they were looking for.
This is simply checked by phoning them from your mobile and finding you get straight through.

Why does a "customer" turn up at 3.55pm on a Sunday or a Bank Holiday looking for a car when you clearly close at 4pm and then get the arsehole when you start closing tailgates and locking up to go home?

Why is it that a "customer" who knows that they don't stand a snowballs in hell chance of getting finance always asks you to quote figures on the top of the range model?

Just a few that I could think of off the top of my head, but there are plenty of others, believe me.

And your point is ?

So because a dealer has to occasionally deal with a less than perfect customer they can then treat all customer's as being less than perfect.
Not a great business model.

Why is it that a "customer" who is using CarWow never tells you until after he has carried out the test drive and wasted about an hour or more of your time?

Why is it that a "customer" comes into your showroom looking for a particular car, being very specific on colour, specification etc. and asks you to phone them if you get one come in, but then puts your number on block so that you can't phone them to tell them you have what they were looking for.
This is simply checked by phoning them from your mobile and finding you get straight through.

Why does a "customer" turn up at 3.55pm on a Sunday or a Bank Holiday looking for a car when you clearly close at 4pm and then get the arsehole when you start closing tailgates and locking up to go home?

Why is it that a "customer" who knows that they don't stand a snowballs in hell chance of getting finance always asks you to quote figures on the top of the range model?

Just a few that I could think of off the top of my head, but there are plenty of others, believe me.

The thing that get me is why do I always feel like I'm being played when I buy a car, why is this really still the only business that thrives on deals, tactics, negotiation to purchase your shiny new car.

If cars were priced accurately in the first place there would be no Need for carwow, drive the deal and many more, and I could go in, slap my money on the table and walk out.

I feel like this every three years, choose car, look for online deals, get a carwow quote and see what I 'could' be paying for my next car and completely ignore the 'list' price, whilst test driving at a local dealer who refuses to even negotiate on the price as it's the best he's ever seen, yet the dealer next door can offer £2k off, plus a free servicing pack.

Just give me the best price straight off and make it easy to drive away.

And your point is ?
So because a dealer has to occasionally deal with a less than perfect customer they can then treat all customer's as being less than perfect.
Not a great business model.

I didn't say that.
But I was just pointing out that it's not only car salesmen that are to blame sometimes.

The thing that get me is why do I always feel like I'm being played when I buy a car, why is this really still the only business that thrives on deals, tactics, negotiation to purchase your shiny new car.

If cars were priced accurately in the first place there would be no Need for carwow, drive the deal and many more, and I could go in, slap my money on the table and walk out.

I feel like this every three years, choose car, look for online deals, get a carwow quote and see what I 'could' be paying for my next car and completely ignore the 'list' price, whilst test driving at a local dealer who refuses to even negotiate on the price as it's the best he's ever seen, yet the dealer next door can offer £2k off, plus a free servicing pack.

Just give me the best price straight off and make it easy to drive away.

Because, unfortunately if dealers slapped their very best price (and I do mean their very best price) on the table some will still demand that you do better.
I've had customers negotiate a deal, who have agreed to purchase a car there and then "if" I can do the deal that they are demanding.
I then go back and hold my hands up, say "Yes, I can just about do that deal for you" (and it could actually be a deal where we are losing money just to get a registration) and they will come back with "Okay I'll go away and think about it" and go home and carry on with their ring around playing one dealer off against the other.
Years ago, when I was selling Mazda's, we had a guy local to us trying to get the very best deal on the last remaining RX-7 cabriolet in the country, which we happened to have in stock.
We offered him 16.5% discount (we had 17% margin in those days) just to get shot of the bloody thing but two hours later we had a dealer from up North on the phone who was dealing with the same customer trying to get us to dealer swap the car!!

You're quite sanctimonious aren't you?
The fact of the matter is you are in service industry, one that's populated by both lowlife customers and salesmen and dealers. Suck it up and get on with it because you aren't going to get any sympathy! If it was easy everybody would be doing it. The fact of the matter is that the automotive industry has got a reputation for one reason only because no one really trusts it!

You're quite sanctimonious aren't you?
The fact of the matter is you are in service industry, one that's populated by both lowlife customers and salesmen and dealers. Suck it up and get on with it because you aren't going to get any sympathy! If it was easy everybody would be doing it. The fact of the matter is that the automotive industry has got a reputation for one reason only because no one really trusts it!
You really are a bit of a jodrell, aren't you?
Would you also turn up at Tesco to do your weekly shop five minutes before they close because they are in a service industry?

Last edited:
You really are a bit of a jodrell, aren't you?
Would you also turn up at Tesco to do your weekly shop five minutes before they close because they are in a service industry?
You signed up for it pal so suck it up and get on with it, there are other industries with just as many timewasters but its called commerce!

You signed up for it pal so suck it up and get on with it, there are other industries with just as many timewasters but its called commerce!
You didn't answer my question "pal".

What the question of whether I'd go into a Tescos 5 mins before closing because it was open? What a ridiculous analogy! With an attitude like yours its no wonder your customers mess you about!

What the question of whether I'd go into a Tescos 5 mins before closing because it was open? What a ridiculous analogy! With an attitude like yours its no wonder your customers mess you about!
And I'm sanctimonious!! Like I said pal, you're a Jodrell. Now clear off and stop stalking me you no mark..

I know. And looking through your post history you're a bit of an argumentative Jodrell too. Have a nice day Mark xxx
Who's stalking who now? You need to understand what a forum is as its about other peoples views as well as your own! You have a lovely day too x

You need to understand what a forum is as its about other peoples views as well as your own!

Correct. I posted mine and you attack me, calling me sanctimonious! One of my comments was about customers turning up five minutes before we close yet I'm told to "suck it up pal".'. If you wouldn't turn up at Tesco five minutes before they close why should you feel it's okay to do the same to me??+

Correct. I posted mine and you attack me, calling me sanctimonious! One of my comments was about customers turning up five minutes before we close yet I'm told to "suck it up pal".'. If you wouldn't turn up at Tesco five minutes before they close why should you feel it's okay to do the same to me??+
Its called life, its called dealing with customers and unfortunately in a service industry you've got to cope with it.A measure of how good you are is how you cope with it and if you are so upset and affronted by it then just maybe car sales isn't for you, but I can assure you its not reserved purely for car dealers!
I cant be doing with arranging a test drive only to be told that the service manger has taken the car, I cant be doing with sitting at a salesmans desk for two/Three hours trying buy a car which should take an hour to sell, its prolonged by all the crap you try and cross sell, finance I don't want, extras and service plans I don't want, insurance I dont want and it only ever happens with new cars. Having to go to your manager to get the deal signed off its a joke and you wonder why people hate car dealers.
The last car I bought was a used landrover , the deal was done in 20 minutes!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom