car cassette adaptors to allow me to plug in my ipod

just wondering

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm too tight to buy a new car hifi system for my aging 2000 ford focus , it has a car cassette and radio , so i'm wondering should i waste my hard earned £1.79 on one of the cassette adaptors with ear phone jack to ipod , is the sound quality any good ! or do they do any kind of long term damage etc.

I'm too tight to buy a new car hifi system for my aging 2000 ford focus , it has a car cassette and radio , so i'm wondering should i waste my hard earned £1.79 on one of the cassette adaptors with ear phone jack to ipod , is the sound quality any good ! or do they do any kind of long term damage etc.

They usually last around 3 days of use before the crappy wire works loose, they also manage to sound awful.

They usually last around 3 days of use before the crappy wire works loose, they also manage to sound awful.

Agreed, I'd just spend about £15 and buy an FM transmitter

Bear in mind FM transmitters means FM technology and sound quality. It's still well below that of a CD.

I bought an FM transmitter and have hardly used it as it wasn't very good quality. In some areas there was constant interference from other stations and even when it was interference free it wasn't up to scratch sound quality wise.

I'd be tempted to get Halfords to stick me a complete new one in!

Buy cheap, buy twice.

I'd be tempted to get Halfords to stick me a complete new one in!

I'm not being cheeky, but a new head unit is probably just going to show up speaker deficiencies in a 2000 Focus.
And the poor OP will end up in a never ending cycle of upgrading!
Some FM transmitters get very good reviews, like the Belkin Tunecast and Griffin itrip.
Both won 2011 awards on ipod websites, and both are under £30.00

Yes I know what you mean. But the one I bought got great reviews but it sounded quite poor when I used it. Around major cities I couldn't find a frequency which didn't have some interference from another station and it sounded rough as well to my ears.

My 2005 Lexus RX400 has a tape player (oh how i laughed) a radio and multi CD, but no input for my iPhone. An official adaptor/converter cost a couple of hundred.
I use a tape adaptor to play my iPhone and it works and sounds great (still looks naff with a tape and lead hanging out of the dash though).
For a couple of quid its worth a shot.

I got much better results with my tape converter in my old car. This car I have now only has a CD player though so I couldn't use the tape converter any more.

Maybe these FM transmitters have improved in the last couple of years since I bought mine?

If you intend to keep the car for some time buy yourself a new headunit

A friend has had one of these in use for a long time in her old Yaris and it works very well indeed, especially for £1.79.

Tape things aren't bad. Used one in my old car for a while.

I use a Griffin iTrip now and don't see any issues with it. Its in my car so Im not bothered about 7.1 Dolby 3D HD Surround sound or whatever.

I forget what frequency I use but its one that Ive never had any trouble with aside from one solitary bridge that I used to pass which caused some interference.

For £1.79 just buy it. They're not that bad for what they are and at least you'll know if it's good enough for you or not before looking at other options.

Tape things aren't bad. Used one in my old car for a while.

I use a Griffin iTrip now and don't see any issues with it. Its in my car so Im not bothered about 7.1 Dolby 3D HD Surround sound or whatever.

I forget what frequency I use but its one that Ive never had any trouble with aside from one solitary bridge that I used to pass which caused some interference.

It does all depend on the area you live in. On my frequent trips to Cardiff I was having to mess about a lot changing the frequency to avoid interference from other stations along the route.

JohnG said:
It does all depend on the area you live in. On my frequent trips to Cardiff I was having to mess about a lot changing the frequency to avoid interference from other stations along the route.

For me its been used in and around Birmingham and between Birmingham and Derby and Stafford. Although when it isn't transmitting, the radio picks up radio 4. I think the frequency I use is 93.0

I got a sony one, cassette adapter off amazon, cost about £8 but was great. Only just upgraded my car, and only just binned it, shame as you could have had that for free. But I would recommend it, was much better than fm transmitters i tried.

As an fyi I had a 2000 ford to, so same stereo probably, and cassette adaptor worked perfect for 5 years, with no damage on a daily basis

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom