Car battery: Surface charge

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by _Dragon_, Apr 9, 2018.

1. _Dragon_

_Dragon_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    When it comes to the winter i might be needing a new battery, Its done well so cant complain coming up to 11 years. Anyway i know if you check the voltage with a meter you are supposed to drain off the surface charge to get a proper reading, My question how many hours does it take for the excess charge to go after you have stopped the car if you don't use the headlights etc to drain of that charge?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  2. un1eash

un1eash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,407
    Voltage alone won't indicate a dead battery. You need to check charge rate and cranking power.

3. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44,841
    Best left overnight and test it before starting in the morning.

4. _Dragon_

_Dragon_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I have only needed to check the battery a couple of times i was aware that volt reading can be good but its the CCA that really matters.

I do have a charger i might put that on at the weekend, i will leave it over night then and see what readings i get. Leaving it for 14 hours should be long enough to get a proper reading.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  5. car-man

car-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,420
    If after 11 years you are having issues with your battery then replace it!

You can drain the excess charge by switching the headlights on for at least 2 minutes, preferably the heater fan switch on full as well.
    A fully charged battery should read at least 12.6 volts and at cranking should read 9.6 to 10 volts.

6. _Dragon_

_Dragon_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I'm not sure if I'm having problems, it took a bit longer to start up the other day but when it was freezing weather it started up fine, if i do have problems i will get another one straight away, how come OEM batteries last alot longer any ideas? 11 years is amazing to new batteries.

7. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,812
    Diesel or petrol

8. _Dragon_

_Dragon_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Its a Diesel.

9. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,812
    Strange one. My battery suffers really bad in the cold and takes a while to start my diesel (I'm aware diesels don't really need a battery to start). The starter motor sounds like it's struggling. But I don't use it every day. Do you have a smart car charger? Could be worth trying to charge it overnight if you have.

10. car-man

car-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,420
    I guess the OEM batteries are very good quality.
    Make sure you replace a battery with the same spec or higher.

If you didn't have problems in the freezing weather then you should be fine, but I'm sure you will notice if it starts to fail.

11. car-man

car-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,420
    Keeping a battery from getting too cold in the winter will help and if you have the room around the battery area you could wrap it in foam or something to keep the heat in. Some batteries have insulation around them for this reason.
    Is your starter motor in good order?
    I've recently replaced the starter on my Peugeot 508 2.0 diesel because it was getting slow to turn over (a bearing had failed)...a battery check showed no issue with the battery. The engine starts instantly now!

12. _Dragon_

_Dragon_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    The starter motor didn't even come in to my mind, you know it could be that as i don't use my car everyday, Yes i do have a CTEK charger but i have a feeling its not the battery.

Its been great in this cold weather and snow we have had, normally with past cars its a struggle if its been really cold, but not with this car.

Could be the starter motor as it turns over fine not slow just takes a bit longer if its been sitting for a couple of days, I don't know if its a coincidence but i seem to notice the longer turning over if i had been out in the pouring rain and not used the car for a couple of days, The battery does have a jacket around it so i guess that's been a big help in this cold weather we have had.

EDIT: Forgot to say i left the car over night for (13 hours) and the reading i got was 12.6 V, I then checked again just before i got in the car a couple of hours later (15 Hours) and it was 12.59 V. So the battery seems fine on the resting voltage side of things, next voltage test i will do is the cranking voltage.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  13. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,812
    Mine is the battery, if I charge it with a ctek it is fine for a while. As I said it is only in winter.

14. cosmicma

cosmicma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    if it's taking a little longer to start it might be to do with the heater plugs but if it's only on rare occasions it takes a little longer but in general starts fine ( especially through the winter ) i wouldn't be too worried unless it's slowly getting worse

by what you have put the battery seems fine and if it's cranking over at a normal pace the starter motor sounds ok, the next port of call for me would be the heater plugs

15. _Dragon_

_Dragon_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I don't think the glow plugs have been changed, i thought with modern diesel cars you didn't really need to use glow plugs even in the winter. I still go through the process of waiting for the light to go off before i start the car. I shall mention the plugs on the next service.

16. _Dragon_

_Dragon_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I think i will be getting a battery this year, left the car from Monday till today (Thursday) the volts was ok on Tuesday morning when i checked but today its 12.3v so its not keeps its charge like is use to, cant complain though for the age of the battery, started ok though.