Car Audio security

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by SKS51, Sep 3, 2007.

1. SKS51

SKS51
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the market to buy a car Radio+CD player.
    Most of the Radio+CD players have removable front panel (as a security ). But what kind of security is this? Surely a thief can go out and buy a front panel for a stolen Radio+CD player and then sell the whole thing as a complete unit. Am I missing some thing here?

2. wombar

wombar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I think you have to play the law of averages with these kinds of people. People who steal car radios are generally pretty thick and should probably be steralised with a view to improving the human race. However, I'm getting off topic :)

Buying a new face for a radio is pretty expensive (~£100 which can vary widely depending on model/make etc) and thieves don't want to be bothered waiting for parts to arrive so they can sell it to some random person down the pub for a pathetic amount of money. They want a quick bit of cash and will simply walk past your car which doesn't have a face attached to one which does. Why steal a radio without a face when the car next to it has a complete radio?

Some models you can set a pin number so when you disconnect it from the battery, you have to enter this pin to get it working again. I think some manufacturers might pair base units to the face but don't quote me on that. Either way, you just have to play the law of averages the same way you do when you're securing anything else. Make sure that your X is more difficult to steal than the one next to it.

3. wombar

wombar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Oh and a final tip. Make sure that you turn down your radio a few minutes before you get to your destination just in case there are any potential "sticky fingers" in the vicinity. Nothing shouts "steal me" better than an obviously blaring system which means you might have more than just a decent head unit in your car. Either way you've got a smashed window /screw drivered door to fix at your expense.

There's a car park in Watford (the Sainsbury's car park near Destiny which is quickly turning into Chav central btw) where a few a**holes wait and see who rocks up with their system blaring to impress the chavettes. One of my friends mates had their recently installed (fairly expensive) system ripped out of the car because they didn't have the good sense to turn it down whilst driving into the car park.