Car audio problems - advice required.

gingerjackuk

Standard Member
Hi all,

Hoping I can get some expert advice here, on a recurring issue with my car audio.

I kitted out my car with a new audio system around 6 months ago, all pioneer, as follows:

Head Unit
DEH-6100BT Pioneer - Car Audio - CD Player - For iPod, iPhone

Front Speakers
TS-A130Ci 13cm Separate 2-Way Speakers System (190W) - Pioneer Speakers & Subwoofers

Rear Speakers
TS-A6902i 6" x 9" 2-way Coaxial Speakers (260W) - Pioneer Speakers & Subwoofers

Not knowing too much about the subject myself, I was reliant on the help of a friend, and the guys in the audio store I visited. Once all was up and running, it was fine and gave a great sound for around 4 months, before the rear speakers began "crackling", which I was informed meant they had blown. I was told that there shouldn't be any way in which the head unit above could over power the speakers, but the shop said they would have to send them off to pioneer to be assessed. Luckily, I managed to persuade them to replace the speakers rather than awaiting a response from pioneer, and installed the new speakers. These were fine for a month or two but again I have exactly the same problem, I can't see that I am doing anything wrong I has have been especially careful this time not to play at too high a volume just in case (I don't tend to listen loud anyway). Wondering if anyone could shed any light on the matter, I don't seem to be having much luck :( :lease:

Hope someone can help.
Many thanks.

Roger Thornhill

Novice Member
No, you won't over power the speakers, but you may 'under' power them!

I realise you say you don't listen too loudly, but, any high powered speaker fed from a lower powered amp will be susceptible to the amp 'running out of Oomph!'.

The amp will reach its (quoted) 50W long before the speaker starts to sweat, but then, the amp starts to 'clip'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_(audio)

this feeds straight D.C. to the speakers at the top and bottom of the signal, which any speaker won't like.

Also, it seems a lot of Music these days seems to be recorded at extrememly high levels to please the headphone listening iPod generation

Loudness war - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

so the output of the amp may be 'clipped' anyway, depending on the type of music you listen to.

Speakers of equal or even slightly lower power than the amp feeding them are much more likely to last as you really will hear the speaker waving its little white flag as it distorts first even if being fed with undistorted signal, so you turn it down.

The other option for you would be to fit a separate amplifier for the rear speakers nearer thier rated power capability.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom