Car accident

daftpunk1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
A bakery van pulled out in front of me 3 months ago. Damage was minimal but still £500 to get fixed. Ive had two quotes, one at £500 and one at £1000 from the dealer. I am happy to for the £500 repair.

Now the driver on the day was very genuine and apologetic so really I took him at face value and having never been involved in an accident I didn't take necessary precautions but hey you live and learn...

When i phoned bakery 3 months ago they said driver said he wasn't involved in an accident. I was able to produce a piece of their company paper that the driver used to write details on. It was a company invoice. On the back he wrote license plate and contact details for company but not himself. I never got his name. Although if i did go to local shops id say i could get delivery receipt for his deliveries that day..

So really all ive got is my family as witness, their company delivery invoice, with his handwritten details on back and the strong chance to get receipt with his name that puts him in the area at that time and date.

Im not sure if this is enough and who i need to go now. Should i see your standard solicitor on the high street or someone else...

Ive been dealing with someone from the bakery but she's been giving me same story every week for 3 months that its being investigated and insurance department dealing with it...

A bakery van pulled out in front of me 3 months ago. Damage was minimal but still £500 to get fixed. Ive had two quotes, one at £500 and one at £1000 from the dealer. I am happy to for the £500 repair.

Now the driver on the day was very genuine and apologetic so really I took him at face value and having never been involved in an accident I didn't take necessary precautions but hey you live and learn...

When i phoned bakery 3 months ago they said driver said he wasn't involved in an accident. I was able to produce a piece of their company paper that the driver used to write details on. It was a company invoice. On the back he wrote license plate and contact details for company but not himself. I never got his name. Although if i did go to local shops id say i could get delivery receipt for his deliveries that day..

So really all ive got is my family as witness, their company delivery invoice, with his handwritten details on back and the strong chance to get receipt with his name that puts him in the area at that time and date.

Im not sure if this is enough and who i need to go now. Should i see your standard solicitor on the high street or someone else...

Ive been dealing with someone from the bakery but she's been giving me same story every week for 3 months that its being investigated and insurance department dealing with it...
You don't do anything, you tell your insurance company and let them deal with it.

Hindsight although I'd of played their bluff at that stage and said "fair enough if you want to commit fraud here, I'd suggest you have a word with your drivers although if I haven't heard from you within 24 hours, you wont hear from me again, I'll pass my dash cam footage to my legal representative"

I would consider contacting the police, as it appears the driver and or transport manager of the company, are failing to comply with the Road Traffic Act, i.e. one of their vehicles has been involved in a traffic accident and have failed to provide the details defined in the Act.

You may or may not get fobbed off or not, dependant on that forces investigation department. I had something vaguely similar, went and reported the accident a week later, and the matter was subsequently resolved, by police intervention.

As has been said, you should inform your insurance company as you are required by their T&C’s, but bear in mind the consequences of that. Not suggesting you don’t inform, just bear that in mind.

If you have Comprehensive cover (with a small excess) then claim through your Insurance and let them do all the work

Alternatively you have the option of taking out a Small Claims action against either the Insurers of the vehicle or the company who own it.

Might be worth going to the Police and explaining the situation - they should be able to get you the Insurance details from the MID with the vehicle registration. You can then threaten the vehicle Insurers with Court action.

Bear in mind that if you are contacting their insurance or they rely on their insurance to sort it out then they will contact your insurance company. They might wonder why you failed to inform them.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom