1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capturing video

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by zAndy1, Jun 6, 2003.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,483
    I want to capture some videos and burn them to CD e.g. Wedding video etc , what do people find is best to do this? I've got the PB TV100 capture card and have been using Windows Movie Maker which seems to work but the files seem quite large and not brilliant quality also the files end up as .wmv format so I presume they need converting to make a VCD? What do I need to capture straight to VCD or SVCD format? I'll be piping video into the PC from my SVHS VCR and also my camcorder (SVideo output) btw..
    I want to get a Pink Floyd concert I've got on VHS tape onto a CD which will hopefully preserve it a little longer, I want to retain the quality of the original (ok not fantastic to start with) and don't mind if it ends up being on more than 1 CD (I guess that's inevitable seeing as it's getting on for 2hrs long!).

Cheers,
    Andy.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    To be honest to get good quality captures you need a dedicated capture device. You also require analogue capture, which puts the price up by a large amount.
    I had a quick look on www.dabs.co.uk and found the Pinnacle Studio Deluxe for £186.82. This will do everything you want and more.

Mark.

3. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    @Mark, I think that card would be overkill, he's not got any DV sources, everything's coming in via SVid. For this format I doubt there's anything to touch the flyvideo 2000 at any reasonable price.

@Andy, The card you've got will do all that you need it to. An ideal way to do it would be to capture using a low-loss codec (something like MJPEG set at high quality) and then re-compress this file with a re-encoder to either MPEG 1 or 2. If you are just going to watch the files on a PC/HCPC then you could do an even better job and re-encode them to MPEG-4 or WMV 7/9, these would give good quality with much smaller file sizes.

Have a look at http://auzol.narod.ru/index_e.html and www.showshifter.com to get you started. A combination of showshifter and either it's own re-compression algorithms or TMPGenc would give the best results.

HTH
    Owain

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,483
    Thanks for that, just what I needed. I was thinking about the Vidac VMagic card but if the card I've already got will do the trick then I might as well persevere with it. Those screenshots of the Fly2000 TV look a little complicated. Am I best getting the Divx 5 pro codec and using that or can I use MJPEG with that Fly2000 TV package? All new to me this so excuse the noddy questions, guess before long it will all become clear! I'll be using an HTPC for viewing captured video by the way so I suppose it doesn't matter what format it ends up in as long as it's pretty faithful to the original (quality wise)!

Cheers,
    Andy.

Cheers,
    Andy.

5. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Glad to help Andy, basically any of the codecs you mention ~(and loads of others too) can be used to compress the video that's coming into your flyvideo card. All that card does is convert it from analogue Svideo intoa digital signal, what happens next is up to you and the software you use.

DivX and MJPEG are just codecs (compressor-decompressors), on their own they don't do anything, you need a piece of software to talk to the flyvideo card and "accept" the new digital signal that it has created, I'm not sure about using MJPEG with flyTV, I've never tried it.

I'm not sure what spec your HCPC is, but it'd have to be pretty hot to cope with capturing full-frame MPEG4 (things like divx) without dropping frames (especially if you use it for anything else at the same time). This is why I suggest the technique of capturing using something like MJPEG and then re-encoding with something like DivX or WMVencoder - MJPEG takes very little CPU power but produces massive files, Divx, etc use loads of CPU power but produce tiny files.

If you want a nice straightforward method with a nice user interface then you could do a lot worse than showshifter, it's meant for use with TV but will work just as well with the svideo feed from your camera/vcr. Have a look at their website (link above) - they have a free trial download that lets you try every aspect of the software.

let us know if you need any more suggestions,

Owain

6. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,483
    I've installed Showshifter (2.02) and it just crashes my PC , whenever I record something it'll be fine until I stop recording and then it just freezes my PC, without fail. Not impressed so far....

Cheers,
    Andy.

7. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi Andy,
    I agree with Owain. I compared the pb tv-100 capturing using lossless HUFFYUV codec against my Pinnacle dc30 MJPEG card.

There wasn't anything in it, both are the cleanest captures I've seen via S-Video/Composite in to a pc (holo3d card not installed yet to have compared!).

I think I used a free AVIcap app and posted about where to get it and how to use it here, if you want to do a search.

The key to quality is to use the lossless Huffyuv codec. It achieves 2:1 compression with absolutely no wisible compression artefacts, ready for top-notch re-encoding.

You will need a 10MB/sec+ capable hard disk, with 40GB/hour free and 1GHz+ cpu to keep up with no dropped frames when using the fantastic huffyuv codec.

If your hard disk is not up to handling huffyuv files, then MJPEG at high quality settings is a fair compromise, but it will reduce the quality of the final DVD because it adds it's own artefacts that are then re-encoded on to the DVD, also consuming space.

I use AVIsynth+VirtualDub to do noise reduction and then 2-pass VBR max quality TMPGenc to encode, ready to author to DVD-R. This gives superb quality for up-to about 2.25 hour material per DVD-R.

regards,
    Rob.