capturing video to external drive in imovie

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by richard plumb, Sep 3, 2007.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    Just dug out my old DV camcorder to finally (after 5+ years) get it onto computer and eventually DVD.

Plugged it in and loaded up iphoto. It automatically brought up the import window, and said it'd rewind the tape and import all the footage for me - lovely!

But when it asked me where I wanted to capture, it only offered me the mac hard drive. Now, I have over 200GB free, so its probably ok for now, but not an ideal solution forever.

Why didn't it let me capture to my USB external drive? Its formatted FAT32 so I can also read it on windows just in case, and backup writes to it fine, as do other applications like iphoto export.

Are there specific limitations to FAT32 formatted external drives? What format would I need to be able to capture to?

2. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    Isn't there a max 4Gb single file limit with FAT32 ... raw captured video in projects could easily exceed that I would have thought ... ? ... certainly mine does !!

Jon

3. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,196
    As jont says, especially importing from DV you'll easily hit the file limit...I once wasted hours because I forgot and could not figure it out...

Are you using iMovie08? I love the feature to have footage on external disks easily to hand in the library! Makes it so easy to get clips from various recordings together...

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    yep, imovie 08

Just did the auto import but it stopped about 15 minutes in, when I knew there was more on the tape.

So restarted it in manual mode. Seems to do exactly teh same thing. Still splits events when it detects a scene change, so I'll do that.

Not sure about space as you say FAT32 has a file limit. I'll have a fiddle with that later and perhaps grab a firewire drive or reformat this mybook as HFS+ (?)

5. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,196
    15 minutes is approximately 3.26Gb in DV25 format....So it could make sense that it is the file system....

Yes I would just format it as Mac OS Extended (but no journaling since no OS would be on it)...You then no longer have those limitations...