• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Capturing Video - Digi8 OK - Mini DV not detecting

ddzc

Standard Member
Hey everyone,

I have 2 camcorders which i'm trying to capture video from and record onto my PC (via firewire).

The first camcorder is an old Digital 8 camcorder. The second is a Sony MiniDV DCR-HC38.

I just transferred a video from my Digi8 with no issues at all.

I plugged in my MiniDV camcorder via Firewire and Windows 7 automatically detected and installed the drivers. It then said "Your device is now ready for use". I ran my program but i'm getting Error - No video device found (using WinDV). I then tried another program of mine "Ulead VideoStudio" and i'm getting the same error "No device is connected". On the camcorder screen it says "DVIN" and when I turn it on Windows makes the ding noise which means it's connected so i'm a bit lost at this point..

I was able to capture with my Digi8 on both software programs via firewire but no luck with the minidv.

Is there something additional that I may have to install? What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:

M Stewart

Is there a menu item, perhaps several layers down, which controls what goes to your camcorder's Firewire socket? Sorry, can't think of any other cause. (OTOH the Firewire socket on my Canon XM2 died. A well known weakness I discovered after purchase...)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom