Capturing VGA output with a DVD Recorder

perrelet

Novice Member
Hello Community,

I am a visual artist who is looking to capture the output of my laptop with my hdd dvd rw. The reason I am doing this with hardware (rather than using screen capturing software) is that my visual graphics are computationally intensive and using capturing software has an inevitable severe decrease in my output frame-rate.

The basic question regards the compatibility of the VGA signal from my laptop and the RGB input on my dvd recorder:

Can I simply use a cable?
Such as this: 1M Meter Scart TO Female VGA / SVGA 15 PIN HD Cable High-Density D-connector | eBay
Or do I need another piece of hardware to make the connection between laptop and dvd work?
Such as this: PC Laptop VGA to TV AV RCA S-Video Signal Converter Adapter Box #159 UK | eBay

Laptop: Dell Precision M4700 (Outputting over VGA)
DVD: Sony HXD890 (Which accepts RGB through a SCART input)

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Many thanks,

Jamie :)

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
You will need a scan converter, as your VGA output will be at a higher resolution and frequency than your DVD recorder. It will also be progressive and your recorder requires interlaced.

To capture in HD, I would use the HDMI output and plug it into one of these: Blackmagic Design: HyperDeck Shuttle It will give you almost lossless recording, whereas any form of VGA converter will lose you a lot in terms of quality, even running RGB. This would be a good quality RGB converter, but you can get them for less money than this. VGA to RGB or Video Converter The one you linked to will not be great, but will work.

perrelet

Novice Member
Thankyou for your answer,

I am on a very tight budget so will not be able to afford a more expensive converter. Do you think this whole thing would be easier if I used a HD CCTV recorder instead?

As for my plans with the capture, I am a VJ and would like to record the sets I create for future use...

Thanks again :)

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If you could outline what kit and software you currently use, how the kit is operated and how you would reuse the capture that would help in trying to suggest a solution.

Joe

perrelet

Novice Member
Ok no problem :)

Software: I am using Resolume 4.

Hardware: I am outputting a video feed via VGA, which run into a VGA splitter. I have a monitor (1280 x 1024 native) connected to one port on this splitter and a projector on another. The splitter has 4 ports so I intend on feeding one of these into my DVD recorder for capture.

Of course, something I hadn't mentioned (that is related) is the need to monitor the DVD player. This doesn't need to be active continuously, but I at least need a display to set it up with the correct configuration. It would be ideal if I could do this with another VGA monitor (1280 x 1024 native). The DVD recorder has HDMI out and there are cheap converters (HDMI -> VGA), but I am unsure if they will work for this purpose...

Post production: I would like to use my recorded video for use in future VJ sets, upload to internet and edit into smaller clips, etc...

Thankyou for your time and energy :)

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
You can get quite cheap monitors with dual VGA / HDMI inputs, so you could easily switch between the 2 feeds. Cheap HDMI - VGA converters may not work with the output of the DVD player, as they are designed for non-HDCP PC outputs, not video.

I think your converter you had linked to would be a good starting point.

An HD CCTV recorder would not really work for you, as again, they are designed for video not the display output from your laptop.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
It's tricky giving you much of a steer if your budget is so limited!

The second item you link to could be tried on one of the Outputs of the VGA distribution to get a Composite or S-Video signal to your recorder.

Using the capture for U-Tube may be OK - digitising it to then reuse in future presentations could produce a blurry mess as you are proposing compressing 1024x768p down to 720x480i to capture to disc (assuming the Recorder has S-Video in and works at 60Hz) then digitise it in the PC, edit it then output again at 1024x768p.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom