1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capturing raw MiniDV data to HD

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by harry66, Oct 13, 2004.

1. harry66

harry66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Hi,
    These might be dumb questions.
    My mate is starting up a local charity / voluntary organization. He has done some video footage using a Panasonic NVGS200B digicamcorder.
    He has been told by his regional BBC office that he can use their production studio and (he is paying for a) professional bloke to do some editting for him - to create a professional presentation.

He has about four MiniDVs across which his charity work footage is spread out amongst some personal footage. He only has a naff Windows ME based PC with Movie Maker 1 and some old version of Ulead VideoStudio 5 software. He also has a new Maxtor 250gb external HD. He lives somewhere in the sticks so I cant go and help him try and figure it all out....

What he ideally wants to do is dowload all his 4 tapes onto the external HD in the highest quality - raw DV - edit out the personal bits of footage and then give the remaining charity footage to the BBC person to work his magic.

Can he acheive what he wants to do using Movie Maker 1 and the software that comes with his Panasonic NVGS200B?
    Is there any shareware or freeware he can use instead. The NVGS200B is his personal device and he has no or little money to get this all done until the presentation is seen by some money people who may then give him a grant to fund his work.

2. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know which software comes with the camera but whatever it is, there should be enough features for him to a simple edited video and export as a variety of formats. For quality, avi seems to be very good or mpeg. There will be a difference in file size since avi's don't get compressed as much as mpeg so he will have to try both. I should think that the edited video could be exported back to the camera but I am not 100% certain on that point. As for movie maker 1, if that's the windows one, the quality isn't that good so I would avoid it if possible. I use Pinnacle Studio 8 to edit and produce DVD's and it's an ok program.

I hope this info helps.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Well AVI is the PC version of DV footage on the cam, so that is the format he wants to get onto his external HDD. Be aware though that AVI files take 1Gb of disk space for every 4 minutes of footage, or that equates to approx 14Gb per hour. As each tape holds 1 hour of footage, and assuming that all 4 tapes are full, then hre will use just under 60Gb to capture all 4 tapes.
    Do not capture as MPEG (any version) as these are highly compressed files and there will be a lot of quality loss and because of the compression it is more difficault to edit these files. The final results will be poor in comparison to captureing in the native DV/AVI format.
    Movie Maker 1 is perfectly good enough to just capture and edit out a few bits of the footage. As long as he is working in AVI format there will be no loss of quality. If possible he should get the free upgrade to Movie Maker 2 off the MS web site as this is a far better program than version 1.
    If he does have any problems with MM then he could always get a free 30 day trial of Ulead Video Studio from their web site www.ulead.co.uk just to do the capture and edits.
    I don't know if his camcorder can record the footage back onto DV tape, if so then I would suggest that this is the best way to pass the footage on to the editor. If not then he may be able to work with the external HDD to at least get the footage onto the BBC system.

Just to point out that many DV camcorders are now supplied with a USB lead - this can not be used to transfer the footage onto his PC/external HDD. To do the capture to PC you MUST use firewire aka iLink, ieee1394.
    Sorry, I don't want to teach granny to suck eggs but I am just trying to preempt the more common problems/questions.

If you or your friend need any more help then please feel free to ask as I and many others in the know are on the forum most days.
    Give your friend my best wishes with the charitable work he is trying to get off the ground and let us know how he gets on.

Good luck,
    Mark.

4. harry66

harry66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    thanks for the replies - I have passed them onto my friend.
    I have also started to transfer some of my MiniDV stuff to computer -been putting it off for over a year - hopefully this will give me some insight and allow me to help him better.

Cheers.