1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capturing Progressive Video?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by ECM, Sep 29, 2004.

1. ECM

ECM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I was hoping someone could suggest a reasonably-priced way to capture progressive video to hard drive--I currently capture with an ADVC300 (Canopus) but it only supports interlaced video, unfortunately.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is this necessarily a problem?.

With progressive scan the two fields should be identical, i.e there should still be two fields on your tape. Field dominance shouldn't be an issue either as it won't matter what way the fields are read.

Although you are using progressive scan unless you are using an HDCAM or DVCPROHD etc. the frame rate cannot be changed.

If it's something like a panasonic 100/200 or canon xm/xl then the signal on the tape should have the same synch pulses etc as regular interlaced video.
    The transport and actual frame rate are unchanged, just how the camera processes the visual information from the ccds differs.

Although the progressive/deinterlaced/cinema mode looks good I've always forund it better to de-interlace in post, keeping the shutter speed lowish (1/50th) assists the motion blur that any artefacts between fields are impercievable.

It's also worth noting that on sonys (up to the DSR 250) if you record in progressive mode your effective frame rate is reduced to the point where the motion is strongly affected.

On canons and panasonics (miniDV/prosumers) they use pixel shift which reduces the maximum resolution to 75% of effective ccd area. Deinterlacing in edit gives you 100% effective ccd area.