Capturing MIRCRO MV files on Windows Vista

P

paularidd

Hi guys, I have just read a thread about Pinnacle Studio v9 capturing MMV files for editing, but I have been using MovieShaker3.1 to date to donload from Sony DCR-IP7E with success but it is not supported by Windows Vista which I have upgraded to. Does anyone have any ideas for capturing MMV with Vista ?

Thanks

krupatel

Standard Member
My interpretation of what's written on the Sony site is that you can import from Micro MV using movie shaker on Vista, but it must be the whole tape.

http://www.sonydigital-link.com/hotnews/vista.asp?l=en&f=micromv

Bundled software (MovieShaker Ver3.1 for MICROMV) is not supported with Windows Vista.
When using Movie Maker:

- You cannot write a movie back to a tape.

- 16:9 scenes will be 4:3 (vertically stretched).

- You cannot partly import movies from a tape (only entire movies can be imported).

P

paularidd

Thanks for the reply I too found that on the sony website, I think they are saying the whole tape for MovieMaker which is different. The actual MovieShaker software is not compatible with windows vista therefore doesn't even load and run so I need to look for alternative software which will capture & import MicroMV - any ideas ?

In the mean time I'm going to try contacting Sony but won't hold my breath for a positive reply.

krupatel

Standard Member
I use Pinnacle Studio 8. It captures MicroMV no problem, but the 'make movie' part of the suite leaves a lot to be desired, as rarely does the end product be it DVD, AVI or mpeg reflect the project content. I usual end up with sections with missing audio or audio with missing video. Different sections affected each time I use the function.

Another product that supports micromv is Ulead Video Studio 8. I've used it to capture, again worked fine, but not used it to author DVDs. But with all the problems I've had with PS8, I might just find the CD and install it!

Basically, MicroMV is an obsolete Sony only format. I've got 5 more tapes to capture then the tapes and the IP7E are on ebay for 99p no reserve!

P

paularidd

Yes agreed. I got in touch with Sony technical support today who advised that Movieshaker is not compatible with Vista at this time, but not to say that it won't be in the future but no ideas when !!!!! I'm going to go into writing to them, why do you do the same ? If enough people with the IP7 write in maybe they will look at it. Fingers crossed.

In the mean time there's got to be something current which supports it - I reckon Pinnacle 8 probably wont be compatible with Vista either.

senu

Distinguished Member
I hesitate to recommend Studio 9 ( or 10) but Ulead VS 9 ( and 10) as well as Movie factory 4 do import MicroMV
I shoule imagine they work with Vista although i only beta tested Vistas RC2 prior to going "gold".

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom