Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

capturing DVD material for editing

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MarkHB, Apr 25, 2005.

1. MarkHB

MarkHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys - hope someone can help. I have recently had a bunch of old family cines transferred to DVD. Very pleased with the results and no problems viewing the material or copying the disks for other family members.Now I would like to edit the material, add titles etc.
    Unfortunately, however, the original movies were just captured back to back with no breaks - so each DVD contains a single title of some 3GB, which leaves me the problem of either splitting it in some way or of capturing it in one huge gulp. The Pinnacle AV/DV version 9 I am using doesn't want to know and gives me an 'insufficient memory' message (incorrectly) but their website notes this as a known problem trying to capture large amounts of data without (as yet) any solution .
    Any of you experts out there got a suggestion ? apologies if I haven't given you all the technical details you'd need - I'm way out of my depth here !

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have very little experience of this but have used TMPGEnc DVD Author to do some simple menuing of old VHS->DVD rips. Not sure if it can handle VOBs (which I assume is what you have on your DVDs) but maybe worth looking at.

3. DrPepper

DrPepper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    TMPGEnc DVD Author does handles VOBs

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks Doc .. it's some time since I used it and although I was fairly sure I'd used it on ripped VOBs I was certain so erred on the side of caution. :)

5. MarkHB

MarkHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    great feedback, guys. Tried it last night and the TMP broke it into chapters and did the trick of establishing the menu I wanted with no problems at all. Still the same problem running the Pinnacle , which still sees it as a single Title and can't get past that to allow me to pick up individual chapters (in order to add scene titles, audio etc.), but i suspect that is just one of the shortcomings that makes some people dislike that software. I'm sure I can find another full function editor that's more friendly if I want to get really cute with the content, but for now your suggestions were spot on.
    many thanks !

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    :).

Glad TMPGEnc worked for you, I was most impressed at how easy it was to do the little amount of fiddling I needed to do.

I wonder if Pinnacle suffers from the old 2gb max. file size limit, wouldn't surprise me.