1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capturing analogue and DV

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by steev, Apr 11, 2003.

1. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I already have a Pinnacle Studio DV card so I can edit from my DV camcorder, but now my Dad wants to get into this as well. He has a DV camera as well, but he also wants to transfer some stuff from VHS. He's aiming to transfer to SVCD as I have done.

He's got an SVHS deck so he could capture S-Video. His camera does not have analogue inputs so he's going to need a capture card.

I'm just wondering which is the best route. There's the Studio Deluxe for about £180 that does both formats. Alternatively he could get a Studio DV (£80) for the digital and for the analogue use a TV card (~£40) or get an AGP card with video in/out (£?). S-Video out may be useful if he wants to dump back to SVHS, but then that could be done from an SVCD in the VCR.

The Deluxe is a nice integrated solution, but I'm interested in any opinions. Given that he's going to SVCD it doesn't have to be professional quality. Budget is preferably around £100, but he might go higher if there's real benefit.

He's running an 800MHz Duron with 256MB on a PC Chips 810 board using the integrated sound and graphics. Nothing special, but I reckon it should be adequate. He does need to get a bigger HD, but that's a separate budget.

--
    Steve

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    One other option is to buy just a DV card and enable the DV input on the camcorder and then use that as an analogue to DV converter.

The best method to make a cam DV-in enabled is to buy a widget.
    They can be bought from:

www.smartdv.co.uk
    www.keene.co.uk
    & many others

But check the make/model/serial number of the camcorder as not all can be made DV-in enabled.

Mark.

3. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +602