1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'captured' HD converted to wmvhd, is it really HD?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by dekoded, Jun 3, 2005.

1. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    It seems more and more movies are becoming 'available' long before they are officially released, I read this article and it says that these movies are somehow being captured and then converted to the WMV format which supposedly ' reduces the filesize from 10gb to 4gb without a visible loss of quality '.

I'm in no way suggesting that people should 'obtain' these movies, I am just curious as to how a HD movie could be captured, converted and the file size reduced and yet still be called High Definition?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The home made wmv movies are still at HD resolutions and for the most part have DD audio but you take a compressed mpegII video and then recompress it using a mpeg4 based codec you will lose picture quality, no question!

For the most part it seems people choose this just for the convienence of having a HD movie on a single layer DVD and are willing to sacrifice some image quality until such a time that HD-DVD and Blu-ray emerge.

Hand on heart I have two professional wmv DVD's and I do not rate them against the .ts mpegII captures that are floating around the internet. I do not know if this is a result of less than perfect source material but the codec or the encoding process doesn't seem a patch on the tried and trusted mpegII system. Having said that they do out perform an upconverted DVD source of the same movie:)