1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Captured files are huge!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by datasafe, Sep 5, 2005.

1. datasafe

datasafe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

I'm all new at this so excuse my question if it sounds a little off the mark!

I have a Sony Micromv video camera IP55e. I shot 1/2 hour video and captured it on my computer using Sony Vegas.

The resulting .avi file is over 11gig!!! I was hoping I could archive my captures to DVD RWs so I can use my tapes again, but at this size I'm not sure what to do.

Any tips would be gratefully received

John

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The MicroMV format records in compressed MPEG-2 format.

If 1/2 hour of footage is coimng up as about 11Gb in Vegas it appears you may be capturing in uncompressed .avi format.
    (Most editing programs don't like editing MPEG-2)

There of course is nothing to stop you (having edited your .avi file in Vegas) rendering the final product out as MPEG-2 & authoring to DVD for viewing/archiving.

Going MPEG-2 to .avi & back to MPEG-2 is not an ideal work flow though.

3. datasafe

datasafe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

Certainly the saved file is .avi format. Should I, can I output to another format thereby avoiding the large files whilst still allowing me to edit in Vegas.

John

4. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    .avi is the best format for you to edit in Vegas, you can then use Vegas's MainConcept MPEG encoder to encode to DVD compliant MPEG from the timeline or render out a final .avi & use another encoder of choice.

If you have Vegas +DVD Architect you author the DVD in house, if not use another program with your MPEG files.

5. datasafe

datasafe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

Excuse me for being so dunb but if I use something like DVD Architect to produce a DVD of my unedited 11gig .avi file, will it then all fit on one DVD?

I was hoping to simply temporarily dump my unedited productions to a DVD/RW thereby releasing the tape for other uses and later get back to editing and producing a DVD.

Maybe there's some other 'in-between- solution to do this?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge

6. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Could you store the avi files on external disc drive and even better keep the tapes as well as a precaution. At about £2 each theres no cheaper storage.

7. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    When you use DVD Architect to produce a DVD, this will compress the footage to fit onto a DVD so you've no problem here. If you use a 2 pass variable bit rate compression, you can easily get 1½ hours of footage onto a DVD with no apparent loss of quality.

I would say that, tapes are so cheap, I never re-use them. Also, DVD is not a reliable enough storage medium to only store your footage on them.