1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capture software for sweetspot

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Stellavision, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    After much deliberation, I have decided to buy a SweetSpot video processor to capture my video collection to pc. I was torn between this or a stand-alone dvd recorder but decided that the pc option would give me greater flexibility and editing power.
    What is the best software for this sort of thing.
    I have the Nero 6 package which has capture and dvd authoring capabilities but would'nt mind knowing if there is anything better out there?
    Ta. :cool:

2. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    From what I gather, the thing to use is DScaler which is free.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Not sure if Nero can use the Sweetspot, I may be wrong as I don't have need for a PVR but I think ShowShifter is what's used with this capture board.

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    In theory you can use just about any capture app as its a standard windows driver the sweetsot uses . I used it briefly with iuVCR. Probably the best method is to capture using a losssless codec ( very high quality but takes up lots of diskspace) Then compress it down to a smaller size.

This will probably give you better quality than even a realtime hardare encoder card. Downside is you'll need a lot of diskspace but than again diskspace is comparatively cheap.

5. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    What you mean by 'capture with a lossles codec'?

Disk size is'nt a big problem. I've got a 200 gb SATA and 120 gb SATA hdd, and I've reserved a partition on the 1st drive for such a job.
    I will probably burn to dvd and delete when I have done anyway.

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    huffyuv is effectively a lossless codec so you capture at effectively teh maximum picture quality and on a decent machine you will probably get no dropped frames.

I think it worked out at about 1Gb a minute when I did it so you'd need at least 120Gb to capture a 2 hour movie then you could run it through an mpeg2 or mpeg4 compressor say and get it down to a couple of gigabytes and burn to dvd. i think you can schedule certain processe to hppen at the same time so you might be able to compress and you capture but I suspect most machines would run out of grunt in that scenario and you would get dropped frames.

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Has that changed since it was originally released? I was sure that in the early days when I had one it couldn't be used for PVR purposes at all and then ShowShifter came out with support for it.

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    It now uses a standard WDM driver .
    They have a tool at plugged in TV for uninstalling the original btwincap driver and replacing it with the newer one.

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ah right, I'd missed that enhancement since I got rid of mine.

10. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I've tried loads of software this week, inc. Showshifter and Main Concept MPEG Encoder amd finally, after advise from David @ Pluggedin.tv I have found the most pleasing results so far using iuVCR using the huffyuv codec as previously suggested.
    The only problem I have with it at the moment is that I have black bars on the sides of the screen. Capture resolution is set to 720X576.
    I am sending a widescreen signal, so obviously don't want black bars down the side.
    Any thoughts guys?