1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capture quality issue - JVC GRDX100

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Debs, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Debs

Debs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Numpty needs help!

I know nothing pretty much and am having issues capturing footage from my camcorder. The quality is ok on small square on screen, but when blown up to full screen size it loses it's clarity (goes boxy). I've tried with Image Mixer and Movie Maker. A friend bought a Sony at the same time and he has same quality issues. Is there a standard mistake I'm making? I don't have firewire (at least I don't think I do!)

Thanks!

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +249
    I'm afraid that not using Firewire is the standard mistake. :)

USB connections are really only good enough for 'webcam' quality.

If the PC doesn't have a firewire port you can get a card complete with a connecting cable for not much more than £10. You don't have to get an expensive one as they will all do the basics equally well.

This one is what I bought recently and comes complete with a cable but seems to be out of stock at the moment.

Amazon also do one but you'll need to buy a 4-pin to 6-pin connecting cable as well.

3. Debs

Debs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll get shopping! :smashin:

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Yep, firewire is the only way to go with captureing video.

The other thing is that the video footage will never look that good on a PC monitor. Monitors are not designed for this, and the chances are that your graphics card will also hold back the quality on the display. But don't worry about this as the quality is still on the HDD, it just that the PC can't show it. Once you output the video to a DVD or back to camcorder etc it will still be very good.

Mark.