Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Capture Problems - Drives

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Ron916, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Ron916

Ron916

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a laptop with pentium class M processor, but I cant use the integral drive as its too small.

So off I wnet and got an external 1394 firewire drive - seagate 160gig firewire drive and a PCMCIA Dual firewire card.

So I plug the PCMCI~A in and the Sony DCr TRV355E Digital camcorder goes in the first 4 pin firewire port, I then hang the external drive off the USB2 port on the laptop.

I set up a capture to write straight to a folder on the external drive - check the scratch disks confirm this and hit capture.

after some 3 mins the capture window freezes and the program goes not responding. The camcorder is still playing back fine.
    I then have to reboot the PC to free the application for use again.

powersave is off, no screen savers or anything. the camcorder is pwoered by mains. I have tried the external drive off both the USB on the laptop and the firewire on the PCMCIA and this still happens.

However if I write straight to the laptop hard drive - it seems to work....

Can anyone point me in the right direction here please ? is it not possible to use premier with an ext IEEE1394 drive ?

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it's a firewire drive HOW are you managing to "hang it off a USB port" ??

firewire and USB are not compatible - you can't connect one to the other, can you be a bit more explicit about what equipment you have and how it is connected ??

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,431
    What version of Windows are you useing?
    How is the external HDD formatted? NTFS or FAT32?

Beejaycee, you don't normally get an external drive that has only a firewire connection. Most that I have seen are either USB2.0 only or USB2.0 & firewire. I would assume that Ron916 has the latter of the two.

Mark.

4. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try daisey chaining your camera through the hard drive (if it has a second firewire port) with the drive connected through firewire.
    you are running both of one pci slot so this is no worse than going through the 2nd port on the card.

I use a mac mini with an HD camera using this configuration and it works a treat

In premiere you will need to tell the computer that you want to selct the external drive as the capture scratch.

also check in device manager that the drive mounts correctly on its on, winXP has it's own drivers for firewire devices but doesn;t always select the correct one.