1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capture help

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by pcpaz, Nov 19, 2003.

1. pcpaz

pcpaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a ATI AIW 8500DV card, and haven't done much capture till now as the capture software that came with the card was not much good, picture was too fuzzy.

Any recommendations what software would improve the quality of the picture and should I use the picture input from my standard outdoor aerial or use the output from my cable box.

2. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AFAIK you're stuck with ATI's software to capture from the AIW series or any ATI VIVO card, because of their proprietary chips.

If you're serious about capture, you'd really be better off with a Pixelview XCard or a Fly Video 2000/3000 card for around £25 - £30 to get going with DScaler (free de-interlacer and scaler software) and just use the Radeon for output (for which it would be ideal unless you propose watching on a TV set, in which case the picture quality will never be much cop whatever you use).

I would definitely use the cable TV source, but you'll need to use an RGB -> S-Video converter to feed either of the suggested capture cards a decent signal, unless you don't mind a composite video source, or, alternatively give the upcoming Sweetspot capture card which is being advertised a whirl at about £200 for its direct RGB inputs.

Hope this helps.....................

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Think thats a pixelview Xcapture card you meant.

The Xcard is an mpeg2 hardware decoder commonly favoured for pdi dscaler dvd playback use.

4. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite right, I did say Pixelview XCard, but it is actually called the Pixelview XCapture, as Mr D points out.