Capture format?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Antoeknee, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Antoeknee

Antoeknee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I've finished upgrading my PC to do edit video. I've got Pinnacle Studio 9 and I'm just wondering which is the best capture format to use?

I'll be outputting the finished work to DVD so should I capture DV full quality or MPEG full quality. If I understand correctly the finished work needs to be MPEG for writing to DVD.

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Always always always capture and edit in DV-AVI then let your DVD authoring software take care of the conversion for burning to DVD

3. dirt

dirt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing could be simpler with the Pinnacle Studio editing progs.Capture from your cam in full quality dv avi format, edit what you want and output to dvd. Studio takes care of everything for you.

Left on its default settings, Studio's results are more than acceptable.

4. Antoeknee

Antoeknee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replies.

I was asking because in the course of having a click round (not a person who reads manuals unless really necessary) I noticed that the storage jumped by about 5 times when MPEG capture was selected. Presumably this is due to compression.

DIRT, I've just seen the output options in Pinnacle and it looks real easy to write to DVD.

5. dirt

dirt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No probs,buddy

You dont give your location, so make sure in the dvd options you choose the PAL setting for output if the dvd is to be played back on uk equipment;)

NTSC for the US of A...

6. Antoeknee

Antoeknee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the UK near Huddersfield.

Thanks for info re PAL/NTSC, was something I was aware of.

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,487
    Yes a DVD is compressed to MPEG-2 that gives around 1 hour of video to a 4.7Gb disk. AVI files are about 14Gb per hour of footage. Once compressed it is more difficault to get high quality and accurate editing as the MPEG compression does not contain all the information for each frame of video. Editing this can cause the PQ to be a lot lower and/or jumpy when playing back. For this reason you should stick to capturing as AVI. With disk space being very cheap now this should not be too much of a problem.

Mark.

8. expat

expat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    But what if the source material is Video8 and VHS? Isn't the higher resolution of DV wasted in that case? As I understand it, DV has a resolution of 720 x 576. I'm a bit confused about what the resolutions of Video8 and VHS (PAL) are: can somebody help out here?

I have just recently started transferring some Video8 recordings to my PC and am still experimenting with capture formats etc. My assumption was that if I captured using VCD resolution (352 x 288), I would essentially be capturing all the information in the original analog signal. Is this correct?

9. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi8 allows upto 400 lines of resolution (240 lines on standard 8mm tapes )

VHS has 240 lines

10. expat

expat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    So that means that VCD resolution (352 x 288) is a reasonable choice for capturing Video8 and VHS material, right?

11. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,487
    Its ok if all you want to do is capture and then burn directly to disk or copy to tape. It is not so good if you want to do any editing as the MPEG-1 compression can cause a lot of problems. AVI is uncompressed on transfer and therefore editing is much easier.

Mark.

12. expat

expat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Right, I understand that. My set-up is as follows:

My PC has an Athlon processor (XP 1600, I think) and one hard drive with 40 GB. I use VirtualDub for capture (in AVI) and editing, and then TMPGEnc for encoding into MPEG-1. My TV card (Terratec Cinergy 200 TV) came with an application for VCD/DVD authoring (InterVideo WinDVR 3), so it looks like I'm all set.

I'd like to achieve the best picture and sound quality, but of course that will be limited by the source material I'm using. It looks like I'll have to do more experiments with the capture parameters for video and audio to optimize my results.

Does anyone else out there have experience with VirtualDub and TMPGEnc for transfer of analog video to VCD ?