Capture device for HD recordings from Humax Foxsat HDR - any success?

Keccles

Been a lurker for a while, but finally signed up and wondered if anyone had tried the following...

In a nutshell, I have a Humax Foxsat HDR with Raydon's custom firmware, plus Nowster's patch - both of which are excellent!

As we know, there's no way to export decrypted 'historic' HD files from the Humax, i.e. anything recorded before Nowster's patch was added, however, would it be possible to connect some sort of video capture device to the Humax and my computer, then generate HD captures of existing recordings on-the-fly?

Appreciate that could be quite time-consuming with hours of recordings to offload, but has anyone tried it and did it work? Can the Humax even output an HD signal to a capture device?

I did test the theory with an old SCART-based solution - but with that, you're only limited to capturing SD quality... and I want to know it's worth doing before I spend money on more kit! :)

Keccles

For anyone interested, I picked up a £30 capture card on Amazon and that did the trick perfectly. Plugged it into my Humax's HDMI and the other end into my computer, fired up OBS, and job's a good 'un!

This is the kit (the same brand offers even cheaper options - presumably they're less powerful?): TKHIN Capture Card

Not the perfect solution, but at least I'll be able to get those encrypted files off the Humax and stored elsewhere.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom