Capture Cards

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Clear_Mist, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Clear_Mist

Clear_Mist
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone :hiya: ,

I am new these forums and to video capturing/editing. I have learnt a great deal from your posts and have been itching to post myself.

I am thinking about purchasing one of the following cards :-

Sapphire Theatrix 550 Pro
    Canopus ACEDVio

The Sapphire is only about £60, which makes it attractive and has a onboard mpeg encoder. I have read mixed post about this card.

The Canopus, other than what i've read on their website i don't know a great deal about and have not found any posts regarding it.

Ok, my questions are,

Will there be a noticeable quality difference between the mpeg capture video and the dv avi capture video?

Can anyone recommened from personal experience any of the above cards?

Oh, before i go....Any comments regarding the Canopus ADVC55 ?

Many Thanks.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,523
    Yes, real time MPEG compression is never IMO a good idea, especially if PQ is important to you. Also the .AVI is far easier to edit then .MPG as the MPEG file is highly compressed and will cause some problems with many editing programs and therefore further loss of PQ.
    If you are going to put the final edited video onto a DVD then it will end up as an MPEG-2 compressed file anyway, but most DVD authoring programs will do a far better job than the capture card as they can use 2 pass compression with loads of adjustable settings to get the best possible DVD. There is a very good chance that if you capture as .MPG then you will then need to recompress to create the final DVD and ythis is never a good idea.
    Sorry, but I've never used either of these cards.
    The Canopus ADVC cards/boxes are highly recommended on this and other editing forums for those that need to capture analogue video sources. They are not cheap but do offer about the best possible PQ for analogue capture without spending really silly amounts of money.

Mark.