1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

capture cards

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by dirt, Mar 28, 2005.

1. dirt

dirt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a new pc, and it comes supplied with a firewire port. My quick question is this:

Is it worth taking my new machine to bits to insert the £30 pc world special from my old machine? or are the video capture cards supplied with new pcs generally of an acceptible performance level?

Thanks in advance

Paul

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    If the firewire port on your new PC is on your soundcard then I would strongly suggest you put another firewire card in there as the soundcard ports are not fully ieee1394 standards complient and can be more of a pain to get working than its worth.
    If however the firewire port is on the mother board then this will do exactly the same as any PCI firewire card you could add, and therefore is not worth bothering with.

Saying the above is only true if the £30 PC World capture card is just a firewire card and not an analogue capture card. If it is just firewire then £30 is a big rip off as they only cost about £10 from online retailers. If however you need analogue capture then firewire is no good to you without additional, expensive hardware.

Mark.

3. dirt

dirt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark

The firewire port appears to be on the motherboard of my new pc. The pc world special referred to in my previous post is an own-brand video capture card bought from pc world about 2 years ago when I first got into video editing.

I captured some test footage this morning with the new onboard card on the new pc and it appears to be ok.

I'm using Premiere Pro with a Sony TRV950E. Pentium 4 3.4/200G.

Thanks again buddy

Paul