Capricorn One

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by Garrett, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,070
    I watched this last night and was a little disappointed with the quality of the film the quality of the picture varies throughout the film ranging from what I expect on blu and others non HD broadcast quality. The sound not to bad and is in stereo which the film was shown in some cinemas at the time. I did have to turn the amp up a bit as it is a bit lower than usual, I don't know if its done for realism but the scene where Hal Habrook talks to Bru on the set his voices is very tinny yet Bru standing about 2 yards from him nowhere as bad.
    Now saying the above this is the best I have seen the film although it does not look like work has gone into it and comparing it with North By Northwest I watched last week, a film 18 years older, yet from the quality you would have thought the other way round.
    The disc is bare bones and no extras.

The film is a conspiracy film with action and often light moments the film is generally taken from two characters points of view the astronauts and the investigative reporters and very little from the villains. And although Telly Savalas is a tad over the top he did crack me up a few times. I never realised it when I stuck the film on the ironic connection with North by Northwest I watched last week
    but last week a crop duster was a villain in the film trying to kill the hero and this a crop dusters trying to save the hero.
    The film scores is at least one of Jerry Goldsmiths best main title scores which I have both on LP and CD and unfortunately even though the CD has more tracks misses the beautiful more sweeping Kay's theme for a more jazzed version which is used in the bar scene.
    There are some people that complain about the final scene of the film but without extending the film a lot further does give conclusion who won, the good or the bad guys.
    One gaff is when they say how long it takes for signals to reach Earth even quote how long light would take, yet have instant conversations with the wife's although you may have to think they cut out the 20 minute delay to speed the film up a bit.
    I just like to know if James B Skinning been in a modern day film without his pipe.:)

Its a shame a few years later Raise the Titanic sunk ITC and although they never win Oscars they always made something exciting.

Edit found the album version lovely Kay's theme.

Capricorn One - Kay's Theme (Album Version)

Main title of the film with film clips which does give a lot of spoilers away

Jerry Goldsmith - Capricorn One (1977)

2. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,811
    NBNW was shot on VistaVision which had a much larger negative area than Capricorn One, which was shot on regulation 35mm anamorphic. And IIRC the Hitchcock film was remastered by Lowry, hence the squeaky-clean look that it has, whereas Capricorn is clearly an old (though certainly watchable) transfer from ITV's vaults.

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,070
    That's sort of what I was inferring that that unlike NBNW no work had gone into it, more of a straight transfer to a better medium although some shots do look nice and crisp.
    For instance the outside of the hanger on the foreground you can make out there's some small rocks/big stones but there's no definition in fact nothing in the shot is sharp in them yet in NBNW they are quite sharply defined.
    In a lot of the shots the sky is a bit fuzzy and in one of the chance shots very near the end of it there seems a lot of damage. Although I did mention in my comments on the forums NBNW review in the crop duster scene there is a spot right in the middle of the screen that was not cleaned up.
    As you say the NBNW print is different to Cap One. It also has a larger customer base so worth the work on it to the distributors.

By the way in spite of a lot of my adverse comments and being bare bones, it was well worth picking up and can be bought just over £6 which to me is a bargain.

4. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,811
    Network have got a new version of Capricorn One due out in August, sporting "a brand-new High Definition transfer from original film elements" - eeeeeek!

Network ON AIR > Capricorn One

Seems like Network have taken over the distribution of the ITV catalogue, what with this and their upcoming version of Raise the Titanic (apologies if this was common knowledge, but it's news to me!). Might we get another version of The Eagle Has Landed too?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  5. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Oooh. I love this flick and a little while ago also toyed with paying over the odds for the crappy old Raise the Titanic disc too.

6. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,811
    What, you didn't get the Shout! version of Raise the Titanic? Or do you mean the Shout! version? :D

7. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    I ain't multiregional for bloo!

8. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,811
    Are ye not? I always thought you were! Soz.

9. theblob

theblob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +273
    I just flogged my ITV disc so I really hope they do mean brand mew transfer. If not and it's still bad I suppose I'll be able to pick the ITV one up again for peanuts.

Always thought that poster they're using for the new sleeve is a bit of a massive spoiler...

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  10. pRot3us

pRot3us
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,673
    Hopefully this is indeed a new transfer and more importantly is devoid of the DNR of the original release.

The aerial photography at the end is some of the best ever committed to film (up there with Blue Thunder) and could look great given proper treatment.

11. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,070
    Only thing is that's the whole point of the film and any one buying it would have to know nothing what so ever about the film. A bit like Planet of the Apes if they didn't know anything about the film they think it was like the recent BBC wildlife 3 parter Monkey Planet. What did spoilt it was what some of the covers were.

12. DVD-Man

DVD-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    Love CO, the BR is a big leap over the R1 DVD I bought 2nd hand on recommendation from a mate. I echo Garrets comments on the disc being a bit up and down throughout but I made peace with myself that its the best its going to look but then this thread comes along, Christ I thought double dipping died with DVD!?!

13. Shazzerman

Shazzerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Agreed. Always thought that Race for the Yankee Zephyr had some stunning aerial cinematography too. There's a guy synonymous with aerial photography - and I have seen his name in the credits of a few films with stunning aerial sequences - but I cannot think of it now. Doug someone, maybe.

14. pRot3us

pRot3us
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,673
    It did, welcome to triple dipping. :laugh:

15. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,070
    Don't know what to do I not started selling off my old DVD's I replaced with Blu Ray or blind Blu buys I was not overly impressed with. Great film I even read the book that was based on the film. And one of Jerry's great title them scores.

16. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,811
    What do you mean "you don't know what to do"? I put my Capricorn One Blu-ray on amazon last night, it's just sold so now I'm off to the post office to post it! :D

17. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,070
    It doest seem to be going for much brand new and Amazon have free postage if made up in an order of over £9.99. Never sold anything there what is the postage cost as I never posted one before and whats Amazons commission?

18. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,811
    You're not gonna be able to fly to the Bahamas on the proceeds, I got about £4 for mine, but I paid £7 for it originally so I'll take that!

19. DVD-Man

DVD-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
  20. DVD-Man

DVD-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    My copy goes in the post tomorrow, seems folks will spend 6.24 over 5.75 ace!

Thought the pq on the ITV release was patchy, the wide angle at a certain helicopter seen was grain city.

21. DVD-Man

DVD-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    new copy dispatched by amazon today, anuone else got theirs already?

22. mentasm

mentasm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    Yes. Never saw the ITV release, but this doesn't look like much of a remaster to my eyes. Even has the ITV logo at the start. There's at least one encoding error too, plus the sound is a bit iffy (although I put that down to the source).

23. DICKIEDUVET

DICKIEDUVET

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,133
    Just gave this a scan through and thought it looked very good, had the old release which looked pretty ropey. The original version had major compression issues and fixed grain, a mess in short.

Could I ask what the encoding error is? I'll give my copy a check too!

24. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    The sound's never been terrific, the DVD was dodgy too.

25. mentasm

mentasm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    Few pixelated blocks across the screen during the opening scene against the sunset.

To anyone who's seen both, do you think it's really a new transfer or simply a new encode?

26. DICKIEDUVET

DICKIEDUVET

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,133
    Its deffo a new transfer, just seeing the opening credits and how the text looks. The red lettering looks much, much better. The color in general is also more pronounced. Hopefully caps-a-holic will have grabs up soon.

For what its worth Network have again mentioned on their FB page today that this is a new remaster.

There are a few issues with this transfer, see below

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  27. mentasm

mentasm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    It's just that remaster can mean different things.

28. DICKIEDUVET

DICKIEDUVET

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,133
    Meant to type transfer, which is what Network wrote -doh!

29. DICKIEDUVET

DICKIEDUVET

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,133
    Watching again in a darkened room has bought a few other issues to light, the pulsating vertical lines during the opening credits and the odd discoloration on the far right of the screen during the credits!! Very strange. Noticed the pixelation during the opening shot too as mentioned by Mentasm. Looks like an encoding issue. Have notified Network to see what they say.

30. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,811
    Dickie, I'm not seeing any lines during the credits, nor did I catch any discolouration, but the pixelation is there. Re: the lines, are you watching on a full 1080p display with overscan turned off?

It looks like crap anyway because there's no way in hell that this is a new transfer (just look at the credits wobbling from side to side), and if I'm being honest I don't remember the old ITV Blu-ray looking as low-rent as this.

Might as well send it back and rebuy the old disc, save myself a fiver.