Cape Fear Blu-ray Review

Tech News

News Supplying Robot
Reviewed by Chris McEneany, 22nd October 2011.
Although I think his version is flawed and a massively overblown carnival when compared to J. Lee Thompson’s original, the maverick Martin Scorsese stepped outside of his comfort zone and delivered a terrific tour de force of paranoia and psychotic obsession. Without a doubt, Robert De Niro owns the film, stamping his unique persona on the shark-faced countenance of Max Cady and stealing every scene that he is in with a lunatic charisma that no other actor of his generation could ever hope to muster. Wildly over the top, deliriously unhinged and excessively violent, De Niro is the film. But this does not mean that the other performances are lacking in any way. Juliette Lewis teeters on the brink of the emotional abyss, by turns annoying and stirring. Nolte is a grizzled, troubled and imperilled protagonist, and Lange swelters in a miasma of conflicted angst. What Scorsese does, though, is make life difficult for us too. We don't have anyone to really latch onto, or to believe in. And if we are denied heroes, we can't help but side a little more with the villains.

As remakes go, this is a very welcome one. It tackles the same story, the same issues and the same conflict, but with fresh eyes and a darkly Mephistophelean sensibility. The updating works, and the graphic nature of Cady's deeds is now much more profound. I still prefer the original – its moral conundrum is actually more shocking - but this is bravura entertainment that packs a wallop.

Universal put out a reasonable transfer, and one that I'm sure will please many people. The film’s bright, gaudy and often sickly oppressive visual palette is vividly brought to life. There is certainly much room for improvement, though, and although the image seems slick and polished it is the product of DNR. The audio has some elements of heft and vigour to it, though not as much as I, for one, thought it should have had, and nothing to openly brag about by anyone's standards. The extras from the previous SD edition have been ported-over, with the excellent feature-length “making of” from doc-supremo Laurent Bouzerau being the star attraction, of course.

I've already recommended the original version on Blu, and now I can't help but promote this evolution of Max Cady as well. It is not Scorsese at his best – in fact, despite the savagery on offer, this is possibly Scorsese at his most studio controlled – but it represents him at his most stylishly exuberant.

Highly recommended.

Read the full review...

rebel_scum

Distinguished Member
Ah, a nice balanced PQ review,(even if I don't agree with the final score), as opposed to the fantasy that's popped on certain other well know sites.

IGC

This is getting a 30th anniversary release from Fabulous Films in September

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09B7YR3QW/

I wonder if that means a UHD disc around the corner? Either way some much needed work for
Graham Humphreys as he's done some artwork.

c316adf5_o.jpeg

"Bob, I'm not ******* telling you again, NO you can't be in The Last Temptation of Christ 2"

mark6226

When you compare the two films, the remake is extremely tame.
Mitchums Max Cady is truly demonic. He's the personification of evil. By comparison, De Niro is a total wimp.

I know that Mitchum was a hard act to follow but surely they could have done better with the remake.

There's so much wrong with the remake.

Just watch the original as the remake is a complete waste of time in every way.

IGC

Here's Graham Humphreys's art:

capefear.jpg

The remake is a very good thriller I couldn't imagine anyone making a better job of it. I seen it at the cinema and found it as brutal as you could get away with at the time.

Yes, the first is a classic but I don't compare versions at all just enjoy your version.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom