1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capacity Problem - Cheap Chinese MP3 (I know - you get what you pay for)

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Victoryroy, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Victoryroy

Victoryroy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My daughter has bought an unidentifiable MP3 play on-line from china. It has a 512mb capacity but the drive shows as being already over 50% full even though there is nothing on it. We can use the remaining 220mb normally but then its full. Any thoughts on how I can clear it (reformating didn't work) to get full 512mb capacity?

2. Fencer02

Fencer02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like it is not 512 but 256 what you have left is consistant with a 256k with the operating system installed .........220 is about what would be left.
    open it up and have a look for the flash memory it will have something like MB29fxxx on it........if its 29f512 then I am speaking from my ar@e if it has 29F256 on it I am not........might also be D29F or AM29F KM29F depending on manufacturer

k

3. Victoryroy

Victoryroy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Fencer, I'll try that. What is confusing though is that when I explore the drive through the PCs My Computer, it shows it as being 512mb with all but 220mb used. Is it possible that the operating system is so chunky it is taking up that much space?

4. Fencer02

Fencer02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I doubt it , no operating system is that big on a Flash Dap ...Its odd if its like the other ones I have played with it should look like and external drive to windows XP if so you can oipen and explore it like any other drive ,,,,,,,

k

5. Victoryroy

Victoryroy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input. :thumbsup:

6. AndyCCC

AndyCCC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's worth double checking that you have hidden files displayed - I had a USB memory stick I acquired from someone else and thought the capacity terrible until I checked and found there was a huge recycle bin file on it...