• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Canvas Printing Experience

Jitetsu

Following from the fine advice around here, i'm going to get a few small canvas prints done from intelligence-direct.com. I intend to move on to larger (more expensive) canvases once i'm happy with what they send me.

I'm curious if any of you who have used them or similar bothered to get proofs printed and sent to you. I know it's only a small cost but I just find the possibility of anything going wrong too remote to really worry. Then again, I can be a little bit of a lazy optimist.

I'm happy with the photos on a well calibrated monitor and i'm inclined to assume that any differences in color space or printing will be minor. The only exception to this could be that they print darker than they appear on screen and that could be worth compensating for with a fractional increase in brightness (1/3rd or 1/6th of a stop extra).

Your advice or opinions would be invaluable. Well, worth at least £2.50 per proof anyway.

ABC1

You don't indicate in your post whether you have calibrated the picture in rgb format or cmyk format. This is critical to you being happy with the end result. If using photoshop, then this can be found under "image" then "mode" change from rgb to cmyk.
The picture will be printed in cmyk, and if you supply a picture in rgb that you are happy with in calibration, you will find a colour/brightness change when the file is converted by the printer, he will not take responsibility of recalibrating your picture, as he will not be sure what you want to achieve. Without seeing your picture it is impossible to tell how much, but normally picture look a little duller in colour and less bright when converted from rgb to cmyk. You should do the colour conversion yourself and then calibrate the picture.
Haven't used the company you indicate, but getting a proof is very sensible, and really not that much of a cost.

dazza74

Distinguished Member
I've printed a few of these over the last 6 month's and I never convert a file to CMYK. I use what's embedded in the digital photo itself.

TEKNICOLOURFOX

whenever i send artwork to be printed (be it on an indigo, 4/5/6spot machine, canvas or whatever) a proof is a must. Then if the final ones come back after the proof (as long as the proof is ok) you can complain. No good moaning that the reds are too flat if you didnt have a proof to check...

i dont know how much or how many prints your getting, but get the proof...

and convert to CMYK yourself, rather than relying on pre-press to do it for you and not getting it how you would like

Jitetsu

It's interesting that a couple of you suggest converting to CYMK myself. Intelligence-direct expressly suggest you don't as they have a CYMKsomethingextra colour space and you remove the benefits of the extra bit if you convert to CYMK.

I do have it calibrated in RGB at the moment so perhaps it would at least be prudent of me to look at the CYMK image and see how it looks.

Sounds like a thumbs up for proofs so far. Thanks for the opinions.

dazza74

Distinguished Member
I'd leave it upto the printer personally, and get a proof if you want some form of assurance of what you are going to get. In this game most of the cost to the printer is in framing and postage so it's not in their interest to send something out that somebody won't like, it's certainly the way I work anyway.

TEKNICOLOURFOX

dazza is right, but if you send a poor file or it doesnt come back how you expect it to, without a proof its your own fault...

and if the printer wants it a certain way then supply it that way, all printers are different, some large format stuff i send out goes RGB,

ABC1

Would still convert myself to check, and looking at their website, they appear to give opposing answers, as on the page regarding canvas prints under guidelines it states colour type should be cmyk, and elsewhere they suggest rgb, and allow them to correct.
You are taking more of a chance letting them do the conversion, than doing it yourself, and colour balancing/correcting, to a place you are happy with, otherwise it is a bit of a turkey shoot!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom