1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cantons and watt question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by docjan_uk, Aug 24, 2004.

1. docjan_uk

docjan_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, pretty much chosen the HT setup and got a couple of questions.

The Receiver amp is going to be a Denon 1705 which outputs 75 watts per channel.
    Now, after reading around to find the best set of speakers under £500 the Canton CD1's seem to stand out here... at around £420 and better than Kef 1005's and perhaps around 2005 levels etc.
    I havent heard them but after reading some reviews they also rate them highly.... so were thinking of just dropping the hammer on that.

Questions I guess... anyone else got anything to say on these speakers?
    Also, the ratings are 45/80 watt on the speakers.. I guess this means that it takes an average of 80 watts to move the speaker through its full range of motion at the highest volume (and 45 at the lowest?).. if so can the 75 watt receiver suffice?

The way I see it, at all normal volumes it should be fine and quality will degrade and the speakers will only be in danger at the highest volumes (say around 90% of maximum or higher... the system is never going to be heard at such high volumes).
    Anyone got any advise on if that 90% figure is around right or on 80 watt speakers on a 75 watt system?
    Anyone got advice on this?

Also this is where were thinking of ordering from:
    http://www.hifi4less.com/Canton_CD_1_Home_Theatre_5_1_Speaker_System.htm

Anyone got a cheaper place or know if this place is OK? some people get stuff perhaps £150 cheaper from europe but Id rather not get stuff from abroad with no recourse or guarantee on product or delivery on time etc.

2. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not sure about the whole matching speakers to receiver issue. However, I am going to be getting the Canton CD1s and pairing them with the Yamaha RX-V650 receiver. Advice from Yamaha says that they will work fine together.

If you can, buy the Cantons from Germany. Much cheaper! Here are some useful links -

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134073

http://www.mediaran.de

Cheers,

Mark.

3. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Forget it... :cool:

The 1804 outputs something like 6x40w and the 2803 6x50w...
    Only 2 channel claimed output is reliable or even exceded, like most AVReceivers.

There are a few exceptions, the Marantz SR4500 or SR5400 can output real 6x80w for instance...

But with satellite speakers that may no be a problem...

4. docjan_uk

docjan_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed... decided to change tack and go with the 1905 which rates at I read somewhere as 115 DIN (what does that mean... something to do with rating when you lower the ohms figure?) but other places as 80.
    These are small satellites I guess... ?

5. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Your going to buy them without listening to them????
    I admire bravery!
    FALP I salute you! :beer:

6. docjan_uk

docjan_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hehe, wellllll... Ive heard the Kef's and I havent heard a bad thing about these speakers and all signs point to being better... and given that current sound is being output by a 10 year old sony TV about to blow up it cant be that bad... and for around 260 pounds on a 500 pound set of speakers you cant really go wrong... can you? ;)

7. Marmite

Marmite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Are they really as good as the eggs? Im really put off by the shape of the eggs (egg shaped, surprisingly! - but bigger than i thought they might be) so was looking at these as a potential alternative, but im seriously doubting how they can be this good considering the tiny size and the pretty small price.

Falp, are you saying not to worry about what the amp outputs are when pairing with these speakers? Sorry to hijack the thread a bit :blush:

8. docjan_uk

docjan_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well from what Ive read here and in a review or two.. they outperform the 1005's.. as for the 2005's it would seem that these kinda level peg, a little better in certain fields and not in others... HOWEVER this is only what Ive read and not from experience.
    For the price though they do look like the best at that level for sure.

9. tommypeters

tommypeters
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go to http://www.hififabrik.de and get the Canton 25 XL 5.1 system for less than 300 pounds. That's a 6-700 pound system that beats what you're talking about here...

10. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    What? How's that? :confused:

11. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    :blush: Sorry Falp, Wrong person. I'll read who posts what more carefully next time.... :laugh: